bad Who dream and Zep v Who

> like i've said here before, they should do what plant and page did and do an > album and tour under that name. "daltrey and townshend".    > wouldn't hurt > album or ticket sales i'm sure.
I disagree.  A Daltrey/Townshend tour would never draw the same interest because the lay person knows The Who, not Daltrey and Townshend.  It worked for Page and Plant because it had been over ten years, I believe, from the end of Zeppelin until their No Quarter Tour.  Zeppelin also remains more popular than The Who, as evidenced by radio play.  These two bands were so different in so many aspects, and it translates to differences in a Daltrey/Townshend project with the Page/Plant project.
Zeppelin was a hit machine, writing songs with an intent to appeal to the public at large.  Their sound is quite unique, but the songs didn't exactly push the envelope when one takes into account the era.  They delved into psychadelia, but certainly not to the extent that say, Pink Floyd did.  The far east motif had already been explored by The Beatles via George Harrison.  What did make them unique was the interesting combination of hard rock, psychedelia, blues, and folk music into the songs and albums of one band which posessed a wailing front man, awesome lead guitarist, creative bass player, and a ferocious drummer (if not the creative genius Moon was).  They also called it quits upon the death of their drummer.
The Who had their share of hits, but Townshend, though he wanted others to enjoy his music, didn't seem to write with popularity as his main motivation.  He wanted to take music to different and new places and Roger, Keith, and John were the instruments he used to get there, whether he liked it or not.  He constantly took reckless chances in his journey with music... Sellout, Tommy, Who's Next, Quad, and even later albums as they tried in vain to transition into the 80s.  They were unique in that their sound couldn't be pinned down, but their music was and is unmistakeable.  One would be hard pressed to try to recognize a Who song based purely on the sound of the song (other than Roger's unique voice).  One really has to know the song itself to recognize The Who.  Zeppelin didn't venture too far from their main sound.  The Who held it together, at least for a time, after Moon's death and never officially disbanded (just long hiatuses).  Daltrey/Townshend can't be judged on the same criteria as Page/Plant.  Too different.
Mc