New Pete Diary

Royal Albert Hall

Some of you brighter sparks (as well as one sarcastic smart-alec who wrote to
my house giving no address) noticed as soon as I posted the news about The
Who playing at the 150th Anniversary of the RAH that in fact the building was
not completed until 1871. I knew that. I should say I came to know that very
quickly!

Roger was told 2004 was the 150th anniversary by Adrian Whiteson, our main
contact in the Teenage Cancer Charity we continue to support. I agreed to do the
show on the basis that it was such an important anniversary, and - remember -
after The Who's first performance of TOMMY there they promptly banned us! So
it seemed a kind of divinely arranged way of restoring balance.

Adrian was told by someone at the Albert Hall. I think perhaps, looking at
the RAH website that the anniversary may actually be that of Prince Albert's
entire scheme in Kensington Gore (which included museums, colleges, an
international exhibition, the RAH project and the provision of a number of buildings
for foreign embassies). This work started around 1854 with the purchase of some
land whereon the RAH now stands.

Anyway, we are playing there on March 29th 2004. Even if the RAH is only 132,
Roger and I are at least 150 in dog years and this will probably be the last
time we do this gig.