Re: Real Good Looking Boy?

> He still is Pete fucking Townshend, genius songwriter who can
> write > and title his music whatever he wants, and you'll still
> buy it dammit!!!!

Damn straight!  Look - I know he can title his songs any way he
wants.  I also know jokes are gonna fly regarding this latest
title.

Sure, I may make some off-color comments here on-list - because I
feel I can.  After all, this *is* a little Who community, & like I
said, I would hope you could understand where I am coming from &
place my comments in the context of my character & personality.

Rest assured, *I* won't be the one cracking jokes with my friends
or to other people when I'm out socializing in bars/pubs, as I'm
known to do.

I'll be the one cringing when the jokes are directed towards me.
I'll be the one quickly trying to change the subject when the pelt-
ing begins.

> What is in the wind, eventually will make it back to Pete in some
> way, shape or form, in my opinion.

Wind, indeed, may be what I'm blowing, but I don't agree *at all*
that what I say will "make it back to Pete."  That's an element of
hubris I refuse to subscribe to.

> <insert Catholic Church gay priest pedophile joke here>

Now that's offensive....  ;-)

> I think Pete has earned more respect.  Period.
> That's my opinion.........

I can dig it.  *You* may feel uncomfortable making such comments,
but I don't.  Again - I don't hate Pete.  I don't wish him ill-
will.  I *will* continue to support him as an artist.  I enjoy
most of his work.  And I truly care about what he is going through.

But at the same time, I'm not the one who came up with the title
of his new single.  I'm not the one who provided the fuel for the
inevitable jokes which will follow.

*I* don't want to have to listen to Pete-jokes while I try to have
a few drinks with friends.  *I* don't want to get silly emails from
people when they find out the title to this new song.

I am Pete.  Pete is me.  He & I are linked as far as my acquaint-
ances are concerned.  I *do* respect Pete.  I'm also frustrated &
confused by him at times, as well.

Respect is one thing.  I don't feel I've gone overboard in my com-
ments.  Reality is another thing.  Am *I* going to be the only one
who gets jokes thrown at him?  No one else feels a tad uncomfortable
or uneasy about this new song title?  Everyone else can just shove
those feelings aside?

What's that called? - Whistling by the graveyard?

- SCHRADE in Akron