Re: The real deal

> After a bit of distance, it is my
> hope, and *has* been my hope, and has *never* been my demand, that Pete will
> sit with someone and talk calmly about all of this,
I guess you mean publically, Kevin--like an interview? I'm sure he will, eventually, but I think we'll have to wait until the edge has worn off it some. He doesn't want to get upset and scream at anyone in public. That would be terrible PR. ;)

I'm certain that this will happen if it hasn't already happened many times in
private already. But coming out publicly apologizing to victims for trying to
help them may send the wrong message-that he indeed was "surfing for child
porn." He was not. There is no evidence to support this exaggerated
supposition. There is on the otherhand overwhelming evidence to support his story of
checking a site for research in his campaign against the industry.
This is a pretty good way to sum it up, Jon. I don't know that there's "overwhelming evidence" that Pete was doing research for a campaign against child porn, but there is some, when there seems to be none that he was surfing merely for pleasure. There are a range of motivations in between which likely played a part in the incident, but we can only speculate about that.

What's more important is that fans are now dealing with their feelings on the matter, when likely many of them have held off until Pete was in the clear. There have been reports on other lists, too, about coming to grips with this and writing to Pete with honest feelings, rather than just blind support. I suspect he may get a few angry letters now. ;)

keets