Re: Frankenstein myth

> There are only 2 known cases where OX smashed up a bass on stage:
>
> September 8 1967 Anaheim CA
> OX: "I started to smash the bass after all the rest of the group had
> finished smashing their equipment, but it took about ten minutes to smash
> the thing and all in complete silence, with just the rest of the group
> shouting encouragement and the damn thing just wouldn't break!"
>
> July 29th 1971 Forest Hills NY
> At the end of the show, John leaned the bass up against his amp. As Moon
> came by he knocked it over and the head came off so OX proceeded to smash
it
> to bits.

You can add a Top of The Pops appearence where
he smashed a hofner bass.   In various interviews he
claims to have smashed 8 basses over the years but
these are the only 3 confirmed.

It depends on how you define "smash" too.  At the end of
the "Ox" show in Chicago he unstrapped his orange Fenderbird and let it fall
to the ground and walked off
saying "thank you and goodnight".  To me that's not smashing a bass but...

Bruce