[no subject]

Who'll Remember John By A 6-Foot Fish?

Looming above the rock and roll sale of the century a
plastic shark might seem like a fish out of water.

But yesterday it welcomed hundreds of eager bidders to
John Entwistle's world, which took centre stage in 386
lots.

If the shark could see, it might have been surprised
by the combination of fans and business types crammed
into Sotheby's auction room.

And it could have told a tale or two about life with
the late bass player of The Who, in one of many
collections in his Stow-on-the-Wold mansion.

Quarwood, John Entwistle's home for 23 years,
reflected his passion for deep sea angling in glass
fibre fish of all types but his guitars were to be the
stars in the Kensington saleroom.

The money rolled in as staff volleyed telephone bids
from around the world against those in the auction
room.

John's beloved Fender Precision bass guitar, which he
named 'Frankenstein', went under the hammer for
#62,400, while a rare Gibson Explorer guitar from 1958
reached an astronomical #95,200.

But his treasure trove featured something for
everyone, including Karen Baker and her twin sister
Paula.

Clutching eight glittering paste spiders Karen, 27,
said: "I thought I was going to have a heart attack
when these went to #600. It's my first auction."

"It's not getting it home that's the problem, it's
telling the wife which worries me," said one buyer
about to collect his Wurlitzer jukebox.

John Entwistle is often cited as the greatest bass
player of them all.

He was mourned around the world when he died in a Las
Vegas hotel room in June at 57 from a heart attack
after taking cocaine the day before the start of a Who
tour.

Seven hours and more than #1 million later the sale of
his possessions was over.

One by one, clutching anything from fur coats to
photographs, excited buyers made their way home.

He may no longer be with us, but in every item - even
a 6ft long plastic marlin - the memory of the man and
his music will be cherished forever.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!