Re: Fury at Townshend Let-Off

Oh, oops. OK. I don't think even The Sun would misstate something like this: "Townshend was offered yesterday's caution in return for admitting the offence of inciting the distribution of the paedophile images by payment."

So the additional things I have to say are:

There's a question of proportionality. Pete paid a minimal amount of money to access a site once. That should qualify for a minimal punishment. Saying his money paid for the next child rape is about as stupid as the Who fan (and I've heard them) who say they paid for Pete's house, so he owes them an autograph.

I can imagine paying for access, myself, out of curiosity, but for two things:

1) thanks to the reports from others, I really am not sure I want those images in my memory. But then again, I'm not sure why those images should be considered any differently from other uncommon images or things that I *have* seen.

2) I would be afraid of the legal consequences -- but those are in turn due to the social attitude approaching hysteria which surrounds the subject.

I also think it's very easy for parents to tap into their love for their children to create an instant and deep emotional reaction to the subject, which clouds an objective analysis.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."