Today's news

Hi, folks. I'm dropping in for a few minutes regarding the news today. I guess congratulations are in order for Pete, who finally has a resolution on this. :)

Most of the articles and reports I've seen have stuck pretty well to the facts. The reports of the sex offender registry are awfully prominent, but as long as they're factual, all I can complain about is the tone of the articles. There may also be some minor errors, but since I don't have all the facts of the case, I have to say the articles on the whole look pretty good.

I'd like to suggest that we write to the the media list on the PeteTownshendisInnocent.com site and thank them for covering the fact that Pete was cleared of possession and received the caution only because he admitted accessing the website.

Also, I think we should ask them for support for the following charities, since these will be harmed by the negative press coverage of the investigation and the resulting damage to Pete's ability to raise funds for them:

Double-O - London (Pete's personal charity which assists abused and addicted children.)
Teen Cancer Trust - London
National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children - London
Maryville Academy - Chicago
Robin Hood Foundation - New York City
Bridge School - San Francisco

Regarding the following:

A spokeswoman at the American Embassy in London said that anyone with a
criminal record would not be given a visa to travel to the United States,
but they could apply for a waiver, which is decided on case by case. But a
US source said that it was "highly unlikely" anyone on the Sex Offenders
Register would be granted one, particularly one connected to child abuse.

I think Pete should make sure that his first request for a visa is to support The Robin Hood Foundation, for example, which has some fairly powerful names on the board to put pressure on the government for a waiver.

Many thanks again for everyone who has supported Pete during these last few months. I guess we'll have to wait for cues from Pete now about what he wants to do.

:)
keets