average age; last nights listening session

Representing the slacker generation X
26 years old.
Year of the Dragon 1976.
HS Class of 94.
Berklee dropout 96.

...and yes, the people on the hill say I'm lazy but when they sleep I sing and dance.

Listened to the CD "Life With The Moons" last night. I always liked the song "Melancholia". PT's demo is superior in many ways to the WHO version but I just love Moons drumming on the track (even if he didn't really know the song) and Pete's guitar is better than here than on the demo IMO. All things considered, not too much of a WHO song but then again neither was "Faith In Something Bigger". Ugh.
Another great track on this disc is called "The Name Game" which is just Keith and Pete being drunk together. Keith is ad libbing an absurd story about a stripper who moonlights as a priest and part-time pianist (she played the black notes) when Pete comes in and adds some brandy induced rhymes. Then there's the "Tommy's Holiday Camp" from the ill-fated Kilburn 77 show. I've only heard a few other tracks from this show (My Wife on TKAA soundtrack) but this one is just hilarious! After playing PW and I'm Free, Roger says "let's play some rock and roll...do some oldies" when a very drunk Keith interrupts with"Well screw ya then!...if you're not gonna let me do me Uncle Ernie bit then..." Roger then announces that Keith wants to do his Uncle Ernie. The band had apparently forgotten how to play this number as John and Pete are in totally different keys from one another. Absolutely dire sounding but hysterically funny and strangely arousing. Then heard Kenny Jones version of "The Real Me". I never really liked this before because well, its' not Keith. However, is it me or is this the best track Kenny did with the WHO? I think his playing on this is better than any track on FD or IH. As sleepy time approached I put on WHITE CITY. I played the song "HIDING OUT" for a friend of mine once and she said "Wow, it's like Paul Simon only better!".
"I am safe hidden here"

Oh and I found my copy of "Behind Blue Eyes:The life of Pete Townshend" by Geoffrey Giuliano. I had forgotten how much I didn't like the author. I'm a big Beatle freak as well so I'm always seeing this cats name on shelves. Anyway, I view his work and this book in particular in much the same way that I view Oliver Stones movies about JFK and the Doors: Decent entertainment about interesting subjects but not much in the way of facts or truth.
By the way, lets hope Stone doesnt make a film about MOON or The WHO. Starring Kevin Costner as Roger Daltrey, Charlie Sheen as Pete Townshend, Joe Pesci as John Entwistle and Tom Cruise as Keith Moon. Special Appearances by Anthony Hopkins as Kit Lambert, Terence Stamp as Chris Stamp, Val Kilmer as Bob Pridden and Donald Sutherland as MR. X
Jeez, I wonder how many people read Guilianos book and actually think it's accurate? Granted, it's broad strokes are there but if you know anything about Pete or the WHO's history you'll find yourself screaming "CHECK YOUR SOURCES!!"
Its' people like this that give us Italian descendents a bad name...
anyway, sorry bout the rant.
oh and one more thing: for Xmas my mom sent me a DVD called "Hendrix". It's a bio pic starring nobody you ever heard of and is really horrible and inaccurate. The most revolting is the Monterey scene. I won't even try to describe what it looks like but...
For one thing there is no period music in the movie (obviously the film makers couldnt aquire or afford the rights to Hendrix's music, Cream, The WHO, etc.) so all we get is run of the mill imitations that border on parody. Actually, if I didnt' know better I would swear it's an Oliver Stone movie.

peace

Andy

"I don't talk to musicians...
they might influence me."