Re: Underture and ICSFM

<<
From: "Helen" <elbo@hotbox.ru>
Subject: Re: Underture

To me, "Tommy" has no weak points. It`s the first work
of the Who I ever heard, and the whole thing had a
lasting effect on me. I played it over and over again.
I enjoyed every sound. I was into listening to it, I
didn`t know the story, so listening, I tried to make
up my own (what I knew was only that Tommy was "blind
deaf and dumb").>>

'Tommy' was also my first Who album.  I got it on 7
September 2000, played the first few songs the next
night, but didn't get to hear it all of the way
through till the 9th, so that day is the one I
consider my anniversary of Tommy.  I was determined to
stop chickening out and just get a Who album, and that
one was the only Who album they had on CD at the
vintage music store I went into, and it was only
$8.50, so I got it.  It's the original CD remastering,
not the one from '96 or '97 with an expanded booklet
and liner notes, so I too didn't know the whole story
right at once and had no idea what was going on in
certain songs.

As for "ICSFM," that was the first Who song I ever
heard, sometime in the fall of '93, so it has a
special place in my heart, in addition to being my
favourite song of theirs.  For a time I actually
wasn't sure if that was the first song of theirs I'd
heard, thinking it might have been "MG" or even "MB,"
so I was beyond relieved when I was rereading my old
journal Cecilia (I name all of my journals) and one
entry, written when the event was still in recent
memory, said that it was "ICSFM," and I was so
relieved, I liken it to how on a talkshow when a girl
or woman is unsure who fathered her baby and is so
happy it turns out to be the guy she was hoping and
praying for it to be.

=====
Anna U. Mormack
Welcome to My World: