Re: copyright laws

MC writes:
> >Actually, Pete has no say in the matter. Because GW Bush > used it at an election party/gala/celebration, it is allowed.
Mark writes: > Mc:> > So you know nothing about copyright laws either.
You are entirely wrong, Mark, and I do know enough about copyright law to know that artists don't need to be paid for use of music at parties, celebrations, etc. It's lunacy to think that copyright means that any time a person's music is played he is entitled to money or must grant permission. What about music played at bars, dance clubs, parties, sporting events?
Private parties don't pay, but facilities that offer music have to pay a periodic fee, don't they? Not to the individual artists, but to the organizations that represent artists "interests" and which distribute the collected money as royalies.

The Who had to pay to play their own songs on the 2000 tour, and apparently Pete didn't get back what he paid in. He made some comments on his website about it.

keets