Re: Something Trivial-but interesting

> Now, Trojan Man, on the other hand.........

Lord, help us.

> Sit Down!

"There, that did the trick."

> Not if he's busting on himself now.  Like he often does with statements
> of getting old.

But I don't think he's "busting on himself now."  He's saying at 16 he was
a troublemaker.  But he eventually turned out alright.  And his corrected
ways began with that "new chapter" when he turned 21.

> STOP YELLING AT ME!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaargh!! (the sound of office furniture being upended)

> Yeah, but Pete is always telling us how Rog could get any girl,

You're missing the point.  This isn't about how attractive Daltrey was
to girls at age 16.  It's about what kind of a person he was in society
at that age.  He's lamenting that he probably looked a fright to *adults*
at that time.  A hoodlum.  And again, his point being, that he turned
out OK.

> He was their little angel.  :-)

Who was beating up neighborhood kids.  ;-(

> Yeah, yeah, but could easily be interpreted as him being melancholic
> about his having left youth, and how young and vibrant he was then.
> Think positive!

I don't buy it.  I think it's fairly obvious he's attempting to convey
that he was rough-looking (but not unattractive to girls!) when he was
16.  He just misused a cliche' in attempting to do so.

> He stood for many more things than "hoodlumism, hooliganism, being
> disconcerting and alarming".

But this only came *after* he had his revelation - when The Who kicked him
out of the band & he decided to change his ways (Peaceful Perce).

> My point being that one doesn't just suddenly realize, in between all
> the shagging, that you've got good looks.

You've sidetracked yourself.  He wasn't ugly as a youth.  He was dangerous.
Threatening.  That's what he's trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to say.

> But in this song he's going down memory lane!  He's remi-nisking on
> his youth, from his perspective *now*.

I understand that.  His perspective now is that he must've looked like
trouble when he was 16.

> He's saying, I was so young, full of life!

No, he's not.  He's saying he was dangerous & directionless.

> I can just hear his mum saying to him after a long day at work and
> cleaning the house..."what a site for sore eyes you are me lad".

I see him getting knocked down the stairs like Jimmy in QUAD.

> Is Roger really that "daft"?

He just improperly conveyed his meaning, that's all.  Everybody does that.
It doesn't mean he's a complete dolt.  He just fucked up.  Hell, I must
be a dolt then, too, because I probably heard that line about 50 times
before it dawned on me that he had made a mistake.  You're a dolt, too.
We're all dolts.

> It really still could go either way.

"Someday, some way, I'll find a way to make you see my way."

> YOU DIDN'T WIN NOTHIN' !!!

Oh, I won alright, buddy-boy.  I won.

> Scott doesn't know what he's talkin' about!

Oooo....you're gonna be a sight for sore eyes after I get through with you!

;-)

- SCHRADE in Akron