media convictions

Someone called in to the Larry King (CNN) show last night about the Elizabeth Smart case and asked "Why do you have to convict people on the air?" That's all that was broadcast, but the presenters then all accused each other for a few minutes. One of them said it was the pressures of being on the air all the time and having to compete with other news networks.

The caller was cut off before explaining the comment, but I gather it was about Bret Edmunds. Bret Edmunds was previously a suspect in kidnapping the girl, and it was another case of the press having decided he was guilty before due process.

It sounds like there's at least an investigation going on in the UK about this tendency. We should certainly have one in the US, too.

keets