[no subject]

Various Artists, "Songs From the Material World: A
Tribute to George Harrison" (Koch)

The late Beatle, who would have turned 60 last
Tuesday, is being celebrated in song on this uneven
12-track disc featuring ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman
and the Who's late bassist John Entwistle, plus Big
Head Todd & the Monsters and Mountain guitarist Leslie
West. Some tracks are enjoyable, including Todd
Rundgren's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," the
Smithereens' pumped-up take of "I Want to Tell You,"
and West's dramatically revised, blues-flavored "Old
Brown Shoe." Several other songs are extremely
faithful remakes marred by third-rate vocals, e.g.
Wayne Kramer's disappointing "It's All Too Much" and
Dave Davies' maudlin "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on
Earth)." As for Wyman, his Rhythm Kings' horn-fueled
remake of "Taxman" is odd but mildly interesting,
while Entwistle plays a supporting role to Torque on a
garage-band-flavored "Here Comes the Sun."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com