Re: A Friend Sent You a Link from NewYorkMetro.com

I didn't find it at this link. Is it current?

keets

This is an article I found while reading the New York magazine. Below is the part that mentions Pete Townshend.

Jo

Child porn, unlike adult porn, is rarely for sale on the internet. In its 1984 Child Protection Act, Congress recognized that since much of the material isn't produced for commercial purposes, its distribution and production should be illegal regardless of no intent to sell. Nowadays, putting up your credit-card information on the internet for child porn would be the equivalent-as the Who's Pete Townshend learned in January and Penn's Paul Mosher realized in April-of holding out your hands to be cuffed. But to law enforcement, the fact that these images are disseminated for free, the disturbed cottage of fathers, stepfathers, incles and boyfriends who produce most of them in their bedrooms, living rooms or garages, is no excuse to leave them up. According to Vranich, the sheer volumne of porn out there creates online communities where "you think what you're doing is completely normal."

Law enforcement targets the end user-even though no money is changing hands-in order to discourage production of the images.

"The idea is that this is an underground industry and we have to go after the end users because it's so difficult to find the original perpetrators," explains Adler. "If we punish enough end users, and enough people are scared to go to jail, the argument is, no one will create the images."

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/n_8815/

New York Metro
http://www.newyorkmetro.com
Restaurants, real estate, shopping, nightlife and more  the best of New York everyday.