C'mon, Give Me Good Water

Since we're at each other's throats over "the Pete situation," I thought
we, as a group, could undertake a project which would involve less argu-
ing, less bickering.

I'm not trying to censor the list, or anything; if you wanna still talk
about the Pete thing, then go right ahead.  I probably will.  If you wanna
have a go at me, feel free to do so.  No problem.

With that said, I've always been intrigued by the major theme of "water"
in Pete's lyrics.  Water, the sea, the river, pools, rain, drowning, etc.
It crops up quite a bit in his writing, I don't think anyone would argue
against that.

So, I've always thought it would be cool to compile a list of every song,
solo or with The Who, where Pete makes any kind of a water reference,
mentions any kind of water symbol, or uses any imagery of the sea, or
of rivers, etc., etc.

What I'd like is a list giving the song title & the lyric which mentions
the water image, if possible.

"Now, hold on there, Schrade, you foolish twat.  Many songs, like the ones
on QUADROPHENIA, are practically *all about water!*  We'd have to transcribe
practically the entire song!  You damn fool!"

I understand that.  I realize quite a few of Pete's songs have *many* water
images in them; perhaps too many to write down.  That's fine.  If, for ex-
ample, you wanted to add the song "Water" to our list, you could write
something like:

"Water" - obvious

But, I've noticed that the water theme surfaces (!) in some Townshend songs
that you might not expect it to.  For example:

"Time Is Passing" - I'm walking by the sea / The shingle sings for me

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised when our list is complete & we real-
ize how prevalent the water theme is in Pete's lyrics.

Don't be afraid to speak up.  I can't do this alone.  With all of us coming
up with examples this shouldn't be too difficult.  And don't hold back your
examples for fear of getting beaten to the punch.  No one will mind if that
happens.

I guess I'll try as best I can to keep tabs on the complete list itself.
I don't think we'll need to reprint it each time a song is added, as that
might become cumbersome when the list gets large.

Conditions?  Any water, or water-related image will do.  The sea, rain,
rivers, plain 'ole water, even sewer holes would count!  ;-)

So, let's go, Who freaks!  I've already given two examples.  There are
plenty more obvious ones - & some that may be trying to hide from us.  ;-)

Remember: give the song title (solo or Who) & a brief snippet of the lyric-
al imagery IF FEASIBLE!  No one expects you to copy the entire lyrics to
a song.

Let's do this as a group, let's learn from it, let's celebrate Pete's lyric-
al genius, & most importantly, let's have fun!!  Lurkers, don't be shy!
We'll need to tap your knowledge!

- SCHRADE in Akron