Fwd: Pete Townshend- Remove from Sex Offender list Please

This was sent to me today :
From: Offsor@aol.com
Full-name: Offsor
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:48:02 EDT
Subject: Re: Pete Townshend- Remove from Sex Offender list Please
To: Keithjmoon70@aol.com

14/06/03 Phoenix survivors Re: Pete Townshend petition update.

We asked PS1 if she wouldn't mind us printing this note to us, she agreed.
PS1 note to Phoenix survivors: I have never been more surprised and impressed,
than I have been with Mr Townshends fans and supporters, please don't judge me
for saying this, but they are not what I expected at all, they are absolutely
incredible. Some have described how Mr Townshend has profoundly touched their
lives, others have simply expressed complete and total faith, I almost feel a
little envious and even more motivated to succeed, when we do, I have no
doubt, it will be largely due to them.

About Us
We are not musical fans of the Who or Mr Townshend.
We act completely independently of Mr Townshend or any of his
associates/employeebs.
We do not believe that Mr Townshend is a Paedophile or pervert and although,
should have been appropriately punished for his criminal stupidity, should not
have then, been placed, on the UK Sex Offenders Register.
We never, in any situation, take up for offenders or alleged offenders, we do
challenge those who's actions abuse children, including the Law, in our
opinion this law abuses children.
We are convinced that Mr Townshend fell fowl of an unjust law that needs to
be changed bto allow for a small degree of Police/CPS discretion,b in such
cases, for the sake of bthe childrenb we are trying to protect.

In other words, it is not helping or protecting our children by wasting the
already over stretched, under funded, sex offender management resources.

The Petition
We currently have 310 signatures, we need many, many more.

To stand any chance of success, we need to deliver an overwhelming response
from the UK public, and indeed from Mr Townshends fans, across the UK and the
world, supporting the petition to have his name removed from the UK Sex
Offenders Register.

We do plan to make a public appeal for support within the UK, however, PS1
has reported a degree of bnervous reluctanceb on the part of the UK Media
and
music press, to report or support this appeal.

This is understandable, given the current climate and because of how this
case was reported from the start, however, we will not allow this to get in
the
way, so tell every one you know.

There are many people out there, fans and non fans, who think what happened
here was wrong, but, don't know anyone is trying to do something about it, we
need an organised effort to prompt the media to report on the petition, to let
people know, so they can make up their own mind and hopefully sign it

We have been asked, what people can do to help?
We plan a two day media swamp, (we will let you know when) we are asking
everyone interested, to collect together all their local and national news
source
e-mail addresses, then over two days, help us to post an appeal (we will copy
it to you) to every news source, magazine, radio station and message board you
can find on the Internet.

If it is more helpful, you can indeed collect the petition e-mail's yourself
and then forward them to us.

We plan to hand deliver a written petition to No 10 Downing St, (Prime
Minister Blairbs Home/Office) on the same day that we send in the e-mail
petition.

We will keep you informed of any new developments

Phoenix survivors.