Who vs. Zep + show at Merryweather.

>From: JOELTLE515
>Subject: Re: The Who-Zep connection
>
>just weird.  I wonder if them two were friendly at all. they were a bit
alike
>as I said before.

While impressions can be wrong, it has always been mine that The Who and Zep
camps didn't particularly care for each other.  I base this on Moon's
statements regarding how that band was going 'down like a Led Zeppelin, and
also that there must have been bad feelings upon learning that Keith and
John were set to leave The Who and join Zep.
It was thus fun to see Plant and Daltrey clowning around back stage during
this past tour (was it Hershey where those photo's were from????).

Regarding the '69 show at Merryweather Post Pav.....
I had the pleasure of seeing many shows (non who) at this most unique venue
back in Maryland.  The last one was a Reggae festival.
I also had the chance to chat with a guy who was at the show where both The
Who and Led Suck........whooops........I mean Zep. played.
I was waiting in my local barber shop for my turn to sit with my regular
hair cut lady, when this kind of rocker-looking dude of several years older
than me started chatting with me.  He was new help at the shop, and
definitely not your usual hair cut shop personality.
This was back in '96/'97 when The Who was doing their Quad tour, so they
were really on my mind at the time.
Get to chatting with this guy and find he is a guitar player in a band, and
loved The Who too.  When I told him about the current tour, he was shocked
that he didn't know a thing about it.  He was pissed!  I set him up with
different ways to get tickets.
Well, we get to talking about ticket prices, and he laughed at how much was
being charged, and starts rolling off one of those "Man, when I saw The Who
at Merryweather back in '69, I paid like $5.00 admission for multiple
bands."
I'm of course thinking to myself "Yeah, just what I want to hear", but was
intently interested in hearing what he had to say.
He went on and talked about how when they got there, there was this band on
stage with some dude with long blondish locks singing.  He and his friends
thought it was Roger, but the sound was different, and when they got closer
could tell it definitely wasn't Roger or The Who.  As it turned out, it was
Robert Plant, and co.
He said they (he and his group of friends) immediately cast them as a total
rip-off of The Who.
"It was soooo obvious that they wanted to be like The Who.  Fuck that!"
At this point I of course am cheering him and goin "Yeah!".

Long story short, The Who "completely blew Led Zeppelin away."

Kevin in VT