Re: The Wave

> The initial feeling I got from reading it was the feeling of power
> coming from the powerless.  The doomed man saw something in common
> with a person of no stature and the connection was made.  They both
> had red hair.  The others around were apparently in control of his
> destiny, but the little wave from the insignificant one removed all
> control over him from them.

Yes, good.  Red hair symbolizes a fiery personality.  Perhaps a risk-
taking activist, like Pete.  Red also symbolizes embarrassment - as in
red-faced.  That was my reaction to the "red" imagery.

He says that the little red-haired creature is an angel, sent by God,
to "brighten the inconsequential moments of his dearest subjects' lives."
I first thought the child/angel represented the children Pete was trying
to protect, but now I think he/she represents non-judging people who
can look beyond the public spectacle & gossip, to see the real person.

This attitude comforts the distressed man because he is used to the
open-mouthed gaping of the masses.

> The crowd were wanting a show.  The folks in power were exercising
> their power and enjoying the superior feeling it gave them over another
> human being.  The small child, who's senses were still pure looked at
> him and noticed he was a person.  And waved.

And the film producer, art critics, & "members of the public" are either
irritated by or cannot understand the significance of the wave.  They
seem to be looking for some kind of deeper meaning or importance in the
act, when in reality it has none.  It's just a simple act of "daily life,"
like ones that occur every day, which can lift a person's spirits & some-
times even change lives.

So who does this angel represent?  Actual religious faith?  God's impar-
tial knowledge?  Kind fans?  Neighbors who treat Pete cordially?  Pete's
girlfriend?  Who or what distracted Pete from his despair when he was on
the gallows?

- SCHRADE in Akron