Re: The best Drowned I ever had

Tom wrote:

>I was burning a cd to me, with mp3's files that I have collected all these
years and was stored in my hard disk, all of them downloaded from PT
official site.

I had 3 versions of Drowned, all acoustic, but there was one that I liked
for the best. In this particular version, the guitar playing is just
amazing, fucking brilliant indeed, with elements that are found only there,
no more else.

I was wondering, was it from the oceanic concerts, before the bike accident?

Tom:

I consider myself a *Drowned* expert.  I just love this song, especially
acoustically.

There are several versions I know of that I'll list.

1. Secret Policeman's Ball (SPB) was in 197X I believe.  This just brilliantly
played, fast strumming, layered with key changes, picking and that signature
Pete falsetto that gives me chills.

2. Mark knows of another version that is played in India for some of the
Baba devotees during one of Pete's early visits to the village where Meher
Baba lived.  There is film footage of this I am told.   Mark can weigh in
to confirm this.

3. A Hyde Park version from 1996 that is very good and actually reintroduced
me to the song from the Prince's Trust video run on HBO that year.

4. A boot from Madison Square Garden later in 1996 that is very fine with
the Quad tour.

5. There is a slower version from the Maryville Academy concert in 1999.

6. The Royal Albert Hall 2000 version is good but not as brilliant in my
opinion
as the MSG and certainly not in the same class as the SPB (his peak with this
song - IMO)

I have all but #2, and there are certainly more prior to the accident that
I have not listened to.

Clarifications and corrections are certainly welcome.

Joe in Philly

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.