Glancing Very Briefly: It's Your Turn

My favorite Entwistle song:

It's Your Turn

"Up here on the ledge
I'm getting pushed to the edge
People line up behind me to step into my shoes"

This song is clearly about new and upcoming bands. Considering it was released at the dawn of the MTV age, you can see how John might have seen it as another early `60's-type upsurge. I know I did.

"Up here in the precipice
I'm getting close to my nemesis
People fighting each other to jump into my blues"

I just wonder who is his "nemesis." Could it be time?

"There's a young kid inside me somewhere
He stays up all night, a vampire that never dies,
With the blood and the moon in his eyes
I hear his voice when I'm comin' down,
Sleep is for fools, whe never see the sunrise,
Who never get to live twice."

Unfortunately, this sound a lot like a cocaine night.

"I was a face in a magazine,
When you were still playin' with your plasticine,
Now you're doggin' my tail, ridin' the slipstream"

I really like these lyrics. Very well done.

"You can take the fans and the enemies
The little girls who squeeze and tease
Then pass on their social disease,
Go get your penicillin."

An accurate and visual picture of being a Rock star, with typical Entwistle humour thrown in.

"I know you young and dumb,
I know where you're comin' from.
Don't know where you're goin' to,
But I bin there same as you,
You're running out of ideas,
And new hats to try on"

A comment on how Rock music had been mined out. I agree, although I'd set the date more like 1974.

"I know you middle age
Same song, different page,
I know what you're goin' through
Made the same mistakes as you,
All you want is some hope
And a shoulder to cry on."

A middle aged Rock star had better be established, and some hope is defintely indicated.

"There's a stranger inside me somewhere
That shadow behind me, don't even look like me.
An echoed apology."

I don't know what John meant here, but it reads nice.

"He's a wolf in sheep disguise,
I wake up in places I don't even recognize,
Pretender in paradise."

Unless he's talking about his own "Mr. Hyde."

"It's your turn, step up and take it
If you've got the guts to hang on
You can make.
C'mon, c'mon, come on,
Ooooh take it!"

In 1982 it did appear that Rock music had been established, and hanging on seemed to be the key. Events since have shown that isn't the case. Rock has lost a lot of its artistic aspirations, and is now more of an entertainment. Which might be one good reason why there hasn't been a new Townshend or Who album lately.

Cheers             ML
      An American loses his or her job every 30 seconds
          under Bush, 2.8 million jobs lost so far.