Mass media letdown (was: before we march w/ pitchforks and flaming torches...)

In article <F7737088BF5ED611B51600B0D03D09E5A052CD@mailbox.ascpl.lib.oh.us>,
    "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>  writes:

> > I'm going to wait for additional positive developments
>
> Fair enough.  I've emailed the Howard Stern show & some ABC News outlets.
> I'll admit, I'm kind of bummed that the news outlets I've looked at are
> *not* running the story.  Really, that's not right.

What do you expect?  Admitting and correcting a mistake is not
sensational.  "Look!  A pedophile!" is sensational.  This behavior
should not surprise you one bit in the least.  If they ever bother to
run a retraction or a correction, it will be a tiny one paragraph
story buried deep in the web site/newspaper/magazine.

Like most people and organizations, the press doesn't want to admit
its wrong.  Its also not good for business to say "Hey!  We fucked
up!".  If there's anyone left on their staff with a shred of
conscience, it will be reported, but in the smallest, most ignorable
way possible.

This story is unfolding exactly as I predicted.... Pete will
eventually be cleared (there was never any doubt in my mind that he
was not a pedophile), but that will go un(der)reported by the mass
media.  Who fucking cares that he was eventually cleared?  It doesn't
sell papers and it doesn't sell advertising.  They will be looking for
the next victim, they don't care about fessing up to the fact that
they've already ruined lives.

This has been going on for many years.  Just look at the corpses
littering the mass media highway: the man accused of the bombing at
the summer Olympics in Atlanta (no charges ever filed, no positive
proof ever given, his life ruined anyway), the scientist slandered by
the FBI and dragged through the mud endlessly by the media as a
"suspect" of the anthrax mail attacks (no positive proof ever given,
no arrest ever made, his life ruined anyway), or the way the media
sucked down the government line on the Branch Davidians with no
independent questioning or investigation (80 people murdered by their
own government with noone left to tell their side, no allegations of
child abuse ever substantiated by previous or subsequent investigations,
all evidence at the crime scene deliberately destroyed by government
bulldozer; is your religion BATF approved?).

Extra! Extra!  Get Your Witch Hunt Here!
--
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer