New York Post readers write in

Online at:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/letters/66946.htm

WHAT'S TOWNSHEND HIDING BEHIND HIS BLUE EYES?
January 20, 2003 -- As a lifelong fan of The Who and a
father of three, I am alternately saddened, appalled
and shocked by the child-pornography allegations
against Pete Townshend ("Who, me? Pete denies kid-porn
link," Jan. 12).
But where there's smoke, there's usually fire. His
pathetic and public attempts at damage control insult
our intelligence.

This man has admitted viewing child porn as early as
1997, but for "research purposes" only.

When are these emotionally disturbed celebrities going
to realize that their research is not a license to
commit a crime?
Andy Ostroy
Manhattan

Townshend is a legendary rock star and a father. He
would by no means risk losing both his reputation and
his child.

And would his ex-wife really stand up for him and
endanger her child's well-being if she felt that her
husband was a pedophile?

Clearly, he must be innocent, and this controversy is
only being blown up because he is famous, and it
catches the public's attention.

Let's not humiliate a man just to get a good story.
Kelli Lipson
Manhattan

In the wake of Townshend's arrest, I have a
revelation: You need not get out your credit card and
join some smut group depicting children in sexually
provocative poses.

All you have to do is pick up the latest Abercrombe
and Fitch clothing catalogue.

The sexualization of children is not exclusive to
basement studios in California and Russia, as
advocates would have you believe.

Madison Avenue and Disney are as much to blame for
turning Jack and Jill into targets for sexual
predators.
Brian Picardi
Brooklyn

I know that the explosion on the Smothers Brothers'
show made Townshend deaf, but what's his excuse for
being stupid?

If he wanted to explore the topics of child
pornography or molestation, I'm sure there are myriad
organizations that would have given him all the help
he needed without him putting his money towards aiding
the abuse and degradation of the children he allegedly
wants to help.
Robert Igoe
Altoona, Pa.

All of a sudden, there's a daily story about
pedophilia or some adult having sex with a child.

Apparently, the potential punishment for committing
these awful acts doesn't scare these animals, most of
whom claim they're sick and need help.

The only help they really need is 30-to-life for the
first offense.
James Panzo
Brooklyn

=====