[no subject]

Friends and neighbours rally to support Pete Townshend

ROCK legend Pete Townshend received widespread support
from his many friends and acquaintances around
Richmond this week, following his arrest for
downloading child pornography off the internet.

As the world's media camped outside The Who
guitarist's #5 million home, The Wick on Richmond
Hill, the 57-year-old denied being a paedophile and
said he had visited the illegal site to research a
book he was writing against child abuse.

In 1969 Mr Townshend wrote the rock opera Tommy about
a disabled child who was sexually abused.

Many of his neighbours on the hill, shopkeepers,
restaurant owners and pub managers have sent messages
of good wishes and spoken of their faith in the
father-of- three's integrity.

Mr Townshend is known in the borough for contributing
to a variety of good causes, often without
identification as a patron. He is a loyal patron of
the Twickenham Museum.

Trevor Sutton, former treasurer of The Twickenham
Museum, said: "I have nothing to add to Pete's
statement to The Mail on Sunday, but what I will say
is that if someone looks up an internet site on, say,
witchcraft it doesn't mean that they are a witch.

"I did know that Pete was writing his autobiography.

"When local inventor Trevor Baylis wrote his book
three years ago he mentioned that he had suffered
abuse and I believe that the problem is far more
widespread than is generally admitted.

"I telephoned Pete yesterday morning to give him my
support."

Peter Payan, chairman of the museum said: "He has been
a generous patron and we are glad to have him as a
patron."

Billy Harward proprietor of Caf on the Hill said: "I
know him. He is a very nice man and I don't believe
for one minute these allegations against him and I am
sure my customers agree."

Richmond Hill gallery owner Richard Meacock said: "I
can't believe Pete Townshend is anything but a
gentleman. He has been a regular visitor and customer
to the gallery over many years, with and without his
own children.

"I urge the police to go back to the PC Dixon of Dock
Green times and rid our streets of muggers and the
like. That would be seriously useful."

Mr Townshend said he had been in touch with Scotland
Yard to tell them what he was doing but no officers
had contacted him.

He is reported to have hired a team of ex-SAS soldiers
to protect him against vigilantes.

09:32 Friday 17th January 2003

=====
-Brian in Atlanta