Fwd: Good post from Alt.music.who

--- In Relayers@yahoogroups.com, "L. Bird" <pkeets@h...> wrote:
>After the initial kerfuffle, it looks like Townshend is winning the
PR war.  Following the general tone of the coverage, he has
gone from being a kiddy-diddling rock star to naive, innocent,
well-intentioned victim of a witch hunt.

His rich and famous friends --who may I cynically suggest probably
have more than a few skeletons in their own closets they don't want
made public--have also lined up behind Pete so far.

All of this must have been expected by Scotland Yard.  What I'm
wondering now if we will see any "leaks" of other info they
have on Pete after this current wave of "Pete as victim" rhetoric
dies down.  It wouldn't be surprising in the least if this is
what takes place.  The current trend toward making Pete a
victim-hero will have to be stemmed somehow by the cops
if they want to have a realistic chance at getting Townshend.
Either that, or the whole thing is over.

To me, there's two issues here--whether Pete did something stupid
and broke the law and whether the law he broke and the
current enforcement of it are too extreme.  I think the answer
is probably "yes" to both.  No doubt this will be a test case
and may result in the laws regarding the mere viewing of these
materials to be altered.  It does seem far more important to
be going after the manufacturers of kiddy porn, rather than
trying in vain to hunt down all the consumers of it, and wasting
huge amounts of resources while doing so.  This may end up being
a watershed case for UK law on the matter.

That being said, I'm sure there'll be plenty more twists and
turns to this story yet!

--- End forwarded message ---