[no subject]

Stunned fans give Townshend benefit of doubt

MONTREAL (CP)  Fans of legendary rock guitarist Pete
Townshend are quietly rallying behind their idol as he
faces questioning about possession of child
pornography.

"I've met the man," said Norman Schwartz, 50, a
self-described fanatic of The Who. "He's a class act,
so I find it hard to believe,"

Years of helping children and fighting against abuse
have inoculated Townshend against suggestions that he
may have done something so wrong, said Schwartz.

Schwartz has seen the 1960s British rock group in
concert five times and proudly wears a pass around his
neck from a 2000 children's benefit concert in London
where Townshend played.

An international police sting operation has identified
thousands of people in Europe, the United States and
Canada who are suspected of accessing child
pornography on the Internet.

Townshend, 57, was arrested but not charged under the
Protection of Children Act after police executed two
searches at a business and a home where he lives
outside London.

Townshend has acknowledged using an Internet Web site
advertising child pornography, but said he was not a
pedophile and was only doing research for an
autobiography dealing with his own suspected childhood
sexual abuse.

The explanation seems to satisfy many fans, at least
for now.

"You don't like to believe that heroes could be maybe
lapsed and do things like that," said Schwartz,
assistant manager of Steve's Music, a Montreal store
that caters to musicians and sells instruments such as
guitars and sheet music.

While fans hold out hope that Townshend will
ultimately be cleared, some remain concerned because
his music, including the rock opera Tommy, has long
contained references to this disturbing subject.

"Anybody who's been paying attention for the past
three generations will know that there has always been
a hint of that in his music," said Carlo Palumbo of
Jack's Music in Montreal, which also sells guitars.

Townshend's involvement in the police sting has been
the talk of the music world over the past few days.

But few in the music industry believe it will dampen
sales of a group that has consistently sold well
despite not having released new material in years.

"I haven't seen any difference in sales up or down,"
said John Burwell, assistant manager of Music World in
Toronto.

Radio stations have been abuzz with news of
Townshend's troubles for days.

Callers to a Toronto radio talk show tempered their
initial assumption that Townshend was guilty after
hearing Wednesday that the rocker had apparently
written an Internet essay in January 2002 warning
people against child pornography.

"A lot of people said let's give him the benefit of
the doubt because there was a rush to judgment and
maybe his explanation was plausible," said CFRB's John
Oakley, who has hosted several shows on Townshend's
arrest.

In Vancouver, listeners have been stunned by the
allegations but interest quickly diverted to impaired
driving charges against B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell
and the death of Bee Gee Maurice Gibb, said ROCK 101
DJ Steve Dunbar.

Jokes have begun to emerge about the band's most
famous hits, including My Generation, which is being
referred to as My Degeneration.

But Jim Levitt of Discovery Used and Collectors in
Toronto said bad news carries little sway among
collectors despite being the cause of much banter.

"The real Who freaks are shaking their heads in
bewilderment," he said in an interview.

Ron Wyldd, a DJ at '60's rock events and assistant
manager at HMV's flagship store in Montreal, said it's
the quality of the music that will ultimately prevail.

"Michael Jackson, Pete Townshend, Elvis: We don't want
to believe there is a bad side to these guys," he said
in French.

"I don't think people will refuse to buy The Who
because Pete Townshend is in trouble."

The Who remains most popular among middle-aged baby
boomers. While not a favourite of teens, HMV in
Montreal continues to sell at least one album a day of
the legendary rock group.

However, for guitarists like Sebastian Horwitz, the
cool rhythmic guitar playing and insightful
songwriting override any personal shortcomings of the
musicians.

"It's not really anybody's business what Pete
Townshend does," the 19-year-old student said while
browsing for a guitar.

"No matter what they do I still think they are a good
rock band."

Daniel Hackett, a 25-year-old McGill student
originally from Britain, said Townshend's legal woes
can't diminish his brilliant work in the musical
Tommy.

"I don't think I would burn the songs or destroy the
CDs I have," he said.

Despite his devotion to the group and an abounding
faith in Townshend's innocence, Schwartz concedes a
conviction would destroy his view of Townshend as a
person.

"I'm not God," he said amid the guitars hanging behind
him. "I don't judge people but that's too weird,"

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com