Ugly article

Hi, folks. Here's the source of a particularly awful twisting of Pete "Different Bomb" letter that makes it look like he supports paedophillia. Please give 'em hell.

http://www.wenn.com/

keets

Article text below:

Who guitarist Pete Townshend posted an open letter on his website in defence of alleged paedophiles - claiming they were victims of a government "witch hunt."

In the letter, which first appeared last October but has since been deleted, Townshend claims innocent people are being arrested in connection with child abuse allegations - because of "over-zealous" police.

The "My Generation" rocker was arrested Monday after admitting he logged onto child pornography sites, but claims he did so for research purposes.

Townshend also writes in the letter of "a man who briefly worked for me who was arrested in the UK for downloading child pornography."

This is thought to be a reference to shamed glam rocker Gary Glitter, who was jailed in 1999 for possessing child pornography. He worked with The Who on their rock opera 'Quadrophenia.'

Townshend continues, "I was cautious of openly condemning him until he had been tried. When he went to trial the buzzword that the newspapers kept reprinting - the word he had allegedly used in his regular internet searches - was 'Lolita.'"

Townshend then states he discovered the term was one of the highest words used on web searches in Britain.

"It seemed to me that there was some hypocrisy going on. Who were all these people typing 'Lolita' into their browsers? They were surely not all paedophiles. Perhaps they were simply curious of what they might find."

He has been released on bail without any charge.

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail