[no subject]

Police arrive at Pete Townshend's home

Police officers have arrived at the London home of
Pete Townshend.

Mr Townshend has admitted paying to enter a website
advertising child porn.

The officers went into his house at the top of
Richmond Hill, in south west London, shortly before
3pm.

The 57-year-old said he used his credit card on one
occasion to look at a website advertising child porn
"purely to see what was there" and that he finds
paedophilia appalling.

His name was included in a list of 7,000 people in
Britain whose names were passed on to British police
by American authorities.

Twenty minutes earlier, Townshend had arrived back at
the house. A few minutes later, his solicitor John
Cohen told reporters: "We are meeting police at the
house at 3pm. It's by mutual agreement. We approached
the police this morning and said that we should meet."

Shortly before 3pm, three men and one woman marched to
the front door, refusing to answer reporters'
questions. Around a dozen officers were expected to
take part in the operation.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman at the scene said: "There
will be a thorough and detailed search of the
premises. It will take as long as necessary."

She declined to say how many officers were involved,
but said they were all from Scotland Yard, from the
paedophile unit, major investigation team, and child
protection units, and all attached to Operation Ore.

Detective Superintendent Peter Spindler, of child
protection command, who is overseeing the
investigation into Townshend, was also present, she
said.

Story filed: 15:34 Monday 13th January 2003

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com