Yardbirds Take Flight Again With 'Birdland'

From the Billboard Magazine website...you *must* used the complete URL
to access the 'page

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1788660

Yardbirds Take Flight Again With 'Birdland'

Legendary British rock outfit the Yardbirds are wrapping work on "Birdland," their first new studio album since 1967. The set is due April 22 on guitarist Steve Vai's Favored Nations label. The Yardbirds, which once boasted Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton among its members, now feature original members Chris Dreja (guitar) and Jim McCarty (drums) in tandem with lead guitarist Gypie Mayo, bassist John Idan, and harmonica player Alan Glen.

The bulk of the album was recorded at Vai's Mothership studio in Los Angeles. Vai also appears on the disc as a guest on a newly recorded version of the Yardbirds' favorite "Shapes of Things." Other guitar heroes who have leant a hand in the studio include former Yardbirds principal Jeff Beck, Queen's Brian May, former Guns N' Roses axeman Slash, Joe Satriani, and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. Goo Goo Dolls frontman Johnny Rzeznik and Toto's Steve Lukather also appear.

Beyond "Shapes of Things," the new album sports renditions of previously released Yardbirds tunes "I'm Not Talking," "The Nazz Are Blue," "For Your Love," "Train Kept a Rolling," "Over, Under, Sideways, Down," "Mr. You're A Better Man Than I," and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago." Eight new songs, including "My Blind Life," "The Mystery of Being," and "An Original Man [A Song for Keith]" round out the track list.

The Yardbirds' last studio set was 1967's "Little Games," which reached No. 80 on The Billboard 200.

Here is the track list for "Birdland":

"I'm Not Talking"
"Crying Out for Love"
"The Nazz Are Blue" (featuring Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter, guitar)
"For Your Love" (featuring John Rzeznik, vocals)
"Please Don't Tell Me 'Bout the News"
"Train Kept a Rolling" (featuring Joe Satriani, guitar)
"Mr. Saboteur"
"Shapes of Things" (featuring Steve Vai, guitar)
"My Blind Life" (featuring Jeff Beck, guitar)
"Over, Under, Sideways, Down" (featuring Slash, guitar)
"Mr. You're a Better Man Than I" (featuring Brian May, guitar)
"Mystery of Being"
"Dream Within a Dream"
"Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" (featuring Steve Lukather, guitar)
"An Original Man (A Song for Keith)"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.