Re: My Generation Super Audio CD

I've gotten the Philips 7635A SA CD player, but I'm still waiting for my My Generation SACD (can't get it locally, and it usually takes three days after the shipping conformation...which I haven't gotten yet). I'll probably get it next week.

However, the Philips advertises that their SACD players even make regular CDs sound better...and I'm happy to report that is indeed the case! Last night I played Tommy, Who's Next, My Generation (deluxe) and Live At Fillmore East 1968 (as well as stuff by other bands) and each one was significantly improved. There is a noticeable difference in the separation, and the music sounds (don't know how else to put it) smoother. LAFE 1968 in particular, where some of the guitar and cymbal splashes were previously a bit harsh. The review suggests it reveals more texture; perhaps that's what they mean. Lots of background sounds become clear and you will hear things you haven't before. The advertising also says this unit sounds like high-end units, but over the course of 20 years I've had high to low end players and could hear no significant difference...but I do with this one. No question.

As to the multi channel capacity, all I have on SACD at this time is the Stones early albums...and if they're not mono, they're no more than stereo. This player WILL play the channels if the source disc has them available (and if your amp will take it). I don't know if the MG disc is going to be remixed into multi channel, but I guess we'll see.

Bottom line: if you need a new CD player, you'd be wise to consider this one. All of your old Who will sound like new again. The early (read: best) Stones albums are available in this format. I understand the Beatles and Pink Floyd catalogs are about to be released in SACD, and one might be tempted to believe the deluxe WN will as well (I haven't heard but it seems likely). The price is about $70 below the nearest competitor (a Sony for $238) which incidentally does not support multi channel play as this one does. It also plays VCDs, DVDs (has progressive scan) and MP3's. My ONLY complaint is that it's silver not black, like the rest of my system.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
                                 Isaac Asimov

                 Cheers             ML