'Your support has meant more than gold' says Pete Townshend

The link didn't seem to work so here's the article for those who couldn't
find it.

By Hannah Thorpe
SUPPORT in the local community as reported in the Times has meant 'more than
gold' to Who guitarist Pete Townshend, recently arrested for accessing child
pornography via the internet.

The Richmond Hill resident was vigorously championed by his many friends and
acquaintances around Richmond following his arrest last month.

As the world's media camped outside The Who guitarist's #5 million home, his
neighbours on the hill, shopkeepers, restaurant owners and pub managers sent
messages of good wishes and told this newspaper of their faith in the
father-of-three's integrity.

This week Mr Townshend's personal assistant Nicola Joss wrote to the Times
on his behalf to express his gratitude to those in the local community who
have stood behind him. She said: "Pete thanks you most profusely for your
kind feature about him, quoting the support of neighbours.

"He has asked me to let you know that it meant more to him than gold and
balanced all of the mainstream press stuff at a stroke. However, until the
investigation into his case is complete (which we've been told is not likely
to be until at least May), Pete isn't able to speak to any media."

Trevor Sutton, former treasurer of the Twickenham Museum, voiced his support
and Peter Payan, chairman of the museum said they were glad to have him as a
patron.

Billy Harward proprietor of Caf on the Hill said: "I know him. He is a very
nice man and I don't believe for one minute these allegations against him
and I am sure my customers agree."

Richmond Hill gallery owner Richard Meacock said: "I can't believe Pete
Townshend is anything but a gentleman.

"He has been a regular visitor and customer to the gallery over many years,
with and without his own children."

12:03 Friday 14th February 2003