Re: JAE & 1999 vs. 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Hawkins" <ken.hawkins@nara.gov>

> available.  They were just warming up during the handful of 1999 shows.<<<
>
> Agreed that BTTB is sloppy - its a good document, to some extent, but it
> sounds brittle and thin to me.  Also, since it is glommed together from
four
> shows it has no real rthym.  The way they cut from track to track with
dead
> air is maddening.
>
> IMHO, the audience boot from the Dec. 23, 1999 Shepherd's Bush is great.
They
> are still a little rough but very raw and very loud.  They had a number of
> shows under their belt as a five piece by this recording.  And they do a
> ferocious version of Naked Eye along with some gems like Happy Jack, Pure
and
> Easy, etc.  I'd love to have one of the SB shows get the Encore treatment!

Thanks so much Scott, Ken.  This kind of advice is great to get.  I promise
I'll run out of steam and stop being a pest soon!

So, All I've heard from that period is the stuff Pete put on his website,
which is great, but the recordings are not the best.  Somewhere between a
bootleg and the Encore series/BTTB quality.  I also thought Roger's voice
held up better on BTTB.  I need to get my hands on a proper copy of it,
though, because I've only heard downloaded versions, and not the entire
thing.  Also, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for those bootlegs.  It'll
probably be hard to find a download of them, though.

Thanks again,
Jim M