RE: Time to whine, but what good will it do?

Kevin in VT wrote:

<The silence around this whole Pete thing is really bringing me down.
It's completely off the press' radar now.  I think it's also out of most
people's mind as well.
Unfortunately, it's the last thought that remains in people's minds.  Pete =
naughty kiddy picture viewer.>

I had the "cable guy" at my house on Saturday.  Upon entering my computer
room, with various Who posters on the walls, he commented that I must be a
big Who fan.  "Certainly", I replied, and "the stuff going 'round about Pete
Townshend isn't true."  Sadly, he replied "that it seems more true than
not."  I wanted to launch into defense mode and tell him about "A Different
Bomb", about Pete's long-standing charity work, about Pete's investigation
into the abuse he suffered as a child.  But instead, I stood there
dumbfounded as he scurried about laying down his cable line and looking for
a spot to drill into the wall.  I felt as if my comments would be wasted on
this man who was more concerned about the seven other houses that he still
had to get to that day and it was already noon. (sigh.....)

On a more positive note, many friends have willingly listened to my
explanations of Pete and his actions.  Most have been surprised to learn
that Pete has written about the issue of child abuse and that he has been
fighting for years against some of the very things that he is being accused
of.

Kevin wrote (again):

<If this questioning is delayed again past February, Pete is indeed
"fucked",
if he's not already.
How long does it take to research computers for fucks sake!
They're dragging their feet to allow the dust to settle.  Then, we'll get a
very tiny statement that will be released in some obscure way.>

Unfortunately, this will probably be the reality of the situation.  A
celebrity being found innocent of wrongdoing does not sell papers.  Sad
state of media affairs.

Peace,

P.S. Many thanks to Brian and Keets for digging up some of the more postive
articles about Pete.