Re: Simple drumming

> What was I saying?  Oh yeah,........simplistic drumming doesn't always imply boring
> drumming.  A simplistic drummer can still be crafty & original by employing fresh ideas.
> Those techniques may not be as obvious as a thunderous eighth-note roll across a
> huge row of toms but they're unique & expressive in their
> own right.  At least, IMO,
> they are.
>

> - - SCHRADE in Akron

Scott:

I agree with your analysis entirely.  I guess I should have used "simplistic" drumming rather than "simple."  I think also that Ringo and Watts were somewhat captives of the driving forces of their bands.  Paul and John/Mick and Keith probably hancuffed the drummers a bit to focus the listener's attention on guitar and vocals.  Just a theory.  This is what makes The Who so extraordinary.  John, Roger, and Keith were able to showcase their incredible skills and talents to their full extents without taking the focus off what Pete was saying in the songs... in fact, what they did added an amazing dimension to Pete's songs, without which they would not have had the same dramatic effect.

Mc