Re: RAH 2000 CD

> I know this was a warm up and all but it made me miss Keith.  Zak is
> great.  But he is not Keith and it really shows on this song.

Agreed.  That's what I meant when I said Zak seemed tentative about
improvising.  The Who's YMB is basically a jam song with a rigid begin-
ning & ending.  And Zak seems afraid to get too expressive during the
middle jam part.

Like you said, it really makes you appreciate Moon.  Especially his
interplay with Pete & also his ability to control mood & tone by play-
ing alternately soft or hard.

I sometimes wish Zak would open up a bit.  Let loose.  I mean, he fits
in just swell with The Who but sometimes he plays too straight & basic.

I understand not wanting to *overplay,* & Zak *does* engage in inter-
play with Pete *sometimes,* but compared to Moon's mischievousness &
comic genius, he's lacking somewhat.  But what drummer isn't?

> Wow.  I never want to be that critical.  It sounded great in my system
> and that's good enough.

It's a pompous reaction:  *I* would've mastered it differently.  *I*
would've mixed it differently.  *I* know what properly mastered music
sounds like.  *I* know what properly mixed music sounds like.

And when you say, "Well, it sounds pretty good to me," they respond with,
"*I* can hear sonic deficiencies that you can't.  *You* don't know how
it *should* sound."

And some people get brainwashed & start saying, "Uh, yeah, I guess it
does sound bad."  Or, "Gee, my ears are shot from years of loud rock
music, so, what I hear as sounding good must be, as you say, really bad
sounding."

I read a comment by a respected Who freak saying that he could only make
it through the first few songs on the remastered TOMMY disc from LIVE
AT LEEDS saying that he got "bored" because the poor mastering made the
music sound like it wasn't even The Who!  Have you ever heard anything
so absurd?!

- SCHRADE in Akron

Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great
and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)