Re: Tommy for Dummies

> Me and a friend are going to see Tommy next sunday.

Tell him we said "hi!"

> If we listen to the CD on the way down will that give her enough of
> a gist to figure out whats going in the play? Or do I need to find a
> Tommy for dummies site out there?

Hmmm....well, you risk sending your friend into TOMMY overload if you
listen to the CD on the way to seeing the play.  That's a lot of TOMMY.

On the other hand, it would be a good way to familiarize her with some
of the melodies & themes of the stage play she is about to see.

Plus, you'll be listening to *The Who's* version of TOMMY (original album,
I hope!) which is markedly different in sound from stage versions.

And I wouldn't worry about her not getting the gist of the play.  That's
not really a problem.  The story is fairly easy to follow & the plot has
been solidified somewhat for the stage.  After the show she may have a
question or two but she won't be scratching her head in utter confusion.

So how about this:  Play the TOMMY CD on the way to the show.  Give your
friend a *short* synopsis of the story; a framework she can hang her hat
on (?).  Pay $10.00 for parking & enjoy the show!

And remember, even though *some* refuse to acknowledge other "versions" of
TOMMY <cough!AEB!>, Pete's work of genius in 1969 was so great that you're
seeing a stage version of this masterpiece in the year 2003.  That's the
power of the 'orrible 'oo.

Oh yeah, & good luck that night with your "friend" <wink, wink>.  Get in
there, my son!

- SCHRADE in Akron