Re: media and impartiality

Keets writes:

> Another possibility here is that the BBC doesn't want competition from
> Clear
> Channel and Dyke would like to use this complaint to block them.  Opinions
> from anybody?

 This government run hack media service has nothing to bitch about as their
coverage was very slanted.  The best thing for them is competition.  A
government news service is an oxymoron.

As Fox News has proven in the US, the slanted news coverage of the Big Three
networks (all down about 15 per cent during the war by the way) and CNN,
which with the extremely revealing newspaper article written by one of its
honchos that admitted that CNN whored itself to Saddam just to keep its
Baghdad bureau open, the American people want news that covers all sides
without a political sneer to it.  The British people should have the same.

Fox delivers that - CNN, NPR (I am completely against their taxpayer support
by the way - let them sell commercials!), Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, do not.

CNN cannot now be trusted as a serious venue for journalism.  That article
was also cited by a former CNN reporter writing only a couple days later as
why he quit the network!  Their entire reporting from Baghdad, before the war
and going back to 1991, is now completely tainted by their whoring to Saddam
- and basically only repeating what he spoofed them to repeat.

This is not serious journalism - and my journalism professors in college
would have flunked them for their complete lack of integrity.  If they had
had any of that they woudl have told Saddam to stuff it and shut the bureau
down.  Far better to not cover them that be a simple propoganda whore for
them.

If CNN says the sun is shining I would strongly suggest sticking your head
outside and looking for yourself.  You now no longer know who is feeding
them.  No wonder Fox News is kicking their asses in the ratings - and on far
fewer cable systems!!

Someone has mentioned that Clear Channel, and other media giants, are buying
up tons of stations, which certainly does limit public choices.  I hate
government over-regulation, but this may have to be re-examined by the FCC.
I was ecstatic to see that the low-wattage radio staions were cleared for the
public to get into - but have yet to hear one!  Sounds like a fine chance for
an "all Who - all the time" station!

Greg Biggs