Re: free speech

> Would you think it's an infringement on free speech if the > government > engages in covert activities to silence particular artists?
That's a colossal IF, but of couse it would be. Problem is that you have NOT A SHRED of proof that the government has done anything to the dixie chicks. All you have is "some in the media have suggested." That's weak. That's NOTHING. Logic dictates that the Bush administration has better things to do than engage in a secret conspiracy to ruin the Dixie Chicks.
Perhaps this rests on the exact logic involved, but I notice that the Bush administration seems to be waging a PR campaign to win "the hearts and minds" of all concerned. It's verified that the administration asked producers in the movie industry to support their policies with suitable films. Why not the radio industry, too? Artists have a great deal of influence over their fans.

VH1 recently ran a program about the political cohesion provided by the American music of the Sixties and Seventies and the many ways it contributed to social change. Dictators understand the power of the media and take steps to put radio and TV under state control. Some of the best examples of historical art are a statement against overbearing regimes. It's subtle, but I think TOMMY falls into this category. I won't go into the whole thing again here, but a while back I did an analysis here of TOMMY as a reaction against societal violence. The opera has a broader implication than just the abuse of children.

The controversy occured because she said what she said, and on foreign soil. THAT is inexcusable. It's like those within a sports organization. Say what you want about those on the team or in the front office, but don't say it outside the organization. Professionals conduct themselves in this manner. The Dixie Chicks pandered to an obviously sympathetic audience in England. I wonder if Natalie has the guts to say it at a show in the U.S.? I suppose it's moot, since she would be drowned out by the boos. The govt shouldn't silence the Chicks, or anyone for that matter, but that doesn't mean it is ok for them to act so despicably.
This worries me. Are you saying that no American artist should criticize the war or the administration's policies because this is disloyal? Are you actually J. Edgar Hoover, by any chance?

keets