The House of Blues Gig

I saw the boys at the House of Blues, doing the Maryville Academy Benefit, and it was just fantastic. The place was packed and their set list deviated a bit from what they did on the third leg: No "Bargain" and no "Another Tricky Day," replacing it with some more stuff from Quad. What was great was the audience singing almost every song with Roger while Pete was smiling at the audience's participation. "His Eminence" was slamming the shit out the Strat's whammy bar with more ferocity than usual...and it was noticed that there was more windmilling from Peter, as well. We all realized that he was happy to be there...and it was probably due to the audience feedback and their singing along with Roger. Of course, when it came time for the "Baba O'Riley" bit...everyone sang the "Teenage Wasteland" phrase with extra gusto...and for some reason...visions of N'Sync & Britney came into my head as TEENAGE WASTELAND pierced the air!! Indeed....
Zak was marvelous...but isn't he always? Yet, his drumming this night at the House of Blues was something to behold. Maybe it was due to us being so close to him. We were close enough to get the full effect of his power. Ditto Rabbit's playing...especially on "Who Are You" and "Love Reign O'er Me," the latter song being hypnotic in its effect...especially the way Rabbit was riffing the piano part. Pete did a marvelous "Eminence Front," almost scatting the lyrics. And no one gives Roger any credit for playing the main riff on that song with his blue Strat. He does a great job keeping that song going while both Pete...and Simon...are playing separate leads on that song. If you are lucky to catch the remaining shows, watch those guys play that song...and watch them play it. It's wonderful.
My biggest disappointment is the cutting short of "My Generation," which has always been my favorite jam song by The Who. My two favorite versions are "Leeds" and the one on "Blues to the Bush," but lately...on this tour...the boys have cut M.G. down almost as a seque into WGFA, which bothers me deeply. Yet...I ain't the boss...Pete & Roger are. So...I can't complain too much, despite the pricey tickets. The only redemption for M.G. getting chopped up is the encore...and Pete, God bless'im, does an almost note-for-note Leeds replay of "Amazing Journey/Sparks," which is worth the price of admission. (Guitar geeks note: Pete introduced a new white Strat, which he didn't have on the third leg of the tour...at least I didn't notice it.)
All in all, the HOB gig was wonderful. Pearl Jam opened the evening's festivities and they warmed the crowd up with 90 minutes of their wonderful music. Honestly, until I saw them, I wasn't a P.J. fan...but I am now. I'm a 48 year old lawyer...who cut his teeth on the original British invasion...and remembers that fateful night when Ed Sullivan said, "Ladies and Gentlemen...THE BEATLES!" That night my world, like Dorothy's, turned from black & white to color...and the lads from Liverpool & from Shepherd's Bush...have made my world a much better place to be. And on August 24th (of this year...) when I actually met Pete & Roger...IN PERSON...at The Who's Chicago concert (at the Tweeter Center, Tinley Park)... that colorful world became HDTV!!! It was a dream come true...after 35 years of waiting....
Now if I can just meet Paul or Ringo.
Oh well....Anywho...the HOB gig was great and a splendid time was guaranteed for all. That guarantee was met and no warranties were breached.
Have a great day all of you. I'm going home and eat dinner. The wife just called...and told me to get my ass home...AND RIGHT NOW.
Crazy Joe.
 The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
The Who Mailing List Digest
Wednesday, September 25 2002 Volume 09 : Number 274

In this issue:

Our Tarnished Who
Stripper interview in Mail On Sunday
Got my Detroit show cd's
Re: Dallas Review- it's long but worth the read
Re: Got my Detroit show cd's
Selling Toronto Tickets (3rd row)
and mark thinks Jim is a low brow??
Who Are They- mc's band