[no subject]

Only a week after U2's Bono and the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger did a duet
at the Aragon Ballroom on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)," the
time seemed ripe for another all-star summit of singers from different
generations when The Who and Pearl Jam shared the bill Monday at the House
of Blues

But an anticipated face-to-face onstage encounter between Pearl Jam's Eddie
Vedder and The Who's Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey never materialized.

Nonetheless, Vedder paid tribute to his heroes when Pearl Jam covered an
obscure Motown-era hit, Eddie Holland's "Leaving Home," once performed by
the High Numbers, as The Who were once known.

Vedder also joked about the stiff ticket prices for the concert, in which
all proceeds benefited Maryville Academy, a charity for troubled teens. "How
much did you pay for tickets?" he asked the audience. "Five hundred dollars?

"Well, $475 for The Who is still $25 for us." (Tickets for the event
actually sold for $400.)

Townshend joked later during The Who's set that Pearl Jam was actually worth
at least $75, and he later turned serious in defending Maryville and its
executive director, Rev. John Smyth, recently under fire over staffing
issues.

"I go through their books, their underwear," said Townshend, who has staged
a number of Chicago benefits for the charity in recent years. "No
organization is perfect, [but] this one is kosher, I promise you."

Jim in Colo Springs