Re: Is this the last tour? - to album or not to album...

In a message dated 9/13/02 11:08:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kevinandt@surfglobal.net writes:

> First off let me say that I hope this type of debate doesn't create some
> sort of "I'm on this side, and they're on that side" dichotomy with silly
> hard feelings in-between.  I hope people can see that by discussing this
> *VERY RELEVANT ISSUE*, as relevant an issue as we've seen in quite some
> time, it's helping at least me to think through this all.

Same here.  I get new thoughts after reading each response.  I have no
feeling of side taking whatsoever, I just have my feeling and it does get
influenced by being open to other's views.  I don't consider it wrong to
think either way, it is just how we feel.

>>>Check out Schrade's friend as an example.....had great things to say about
the show, but thought it wrong to go forward after John's death.
If they do go forward, brace yourself for a TON of this kind of crap.

That's not what most*my* friends said.  They said that those guys have alot
of balls to do that and take care of their fans. Most bands would quit. They
really were impressed, I don't know, maybe Michigan people ar just tough and
Ohio people are sissies. (Just kidding Scott).

>>>Can Pete be replaced?
What about Roger?

No. and No.  In *my* view,  I never thought that Keith could be replaced.
Until he was.  I feel the same about John, but we'll have to wait and see
what happens.  But I think that it could happen. Not actually "replaced" of
course, because you can't replace those dudes.  They set a template many
years ago that became what The Who bacame. They did it.  The drums have to be
attacked.  They have to work together with the lead guitar.  The bass has to
be hyperactive and very melodic (except on magic bus)  Keith's personality is
gone.  On stage you barely needed to  look at John.  Just look at a picture
of him. That's good enough. ;)

The things that Pete and Roger are to the band cannot be replaced or
replicated. (Do I sense a division coming?) Pete is a genious.  He is the
energy source. With a wave of his windmill the crowd roars.  He has something
that NO ONE could copy. His stage presence is what lights the crowd on fire.
He is huge.  I saw the JEB on the tape that Jeff sent me (thanks Jeff) and I
saw that guy on lead guitar play very well,  And that was it.  I don't even
have to say a word about Pete's songwriting. He reaches people in ways that
no replacement... aw heck i don't even like to think that thought. You can't
replace a Pete Townshend.  Now Roger is irreplacable because he is the soul
of this band.  He is the one with the drive to go on.  He is the voice. (Back
to the JEB, i just cringed when I heard that guy even sing John's Who songs!
You do not do a vibrato voice to things that  Roger sings!) When he sings, he
actually means what he is singing.   He believes in this band. They started
because of him and they are still going because of the talk that he had with
Pete back in '99.  That really affected Pete I believe.

Besides, Keith and John were ready to go and join Led Zeppelin until the
money finally came in! ;)

Jon in Mi.