Re: To Album or Not to Album.....Questions...

In a message dated 9/11/02 2:13:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org writes:

> >Not what I meant.  We all know what they did in the last 6 years,
>
> I'd bet most people aren't aware of any of the past tours in the last 6
> years.
> The marketing has been atrocious.
> Well, this tour has been a bit better.

The "we" that I meant was us here at igtc and the other hard core Who fans.
Most other people probably didn't hear a thing.  Or care.  The Who's last
album was 20 years ago.

Yeah, they are on the classic rock stations and they play basically  WAY and
half of the songs on WN + Pinball Wizard.  Other than that it is just
requests that get any deeper. That was a long time ago.  I don't know how
their catalogue is selling (Keets?), but I bet with this tour it is picking
up.  But it will REALLY pick up if they put out something entirely new.

Just look at the Stones.  They come out with a new album every couple of
years. (They are not in same class as The Who, so don't miss my point).  I am
talking about marketing here.  Try and get a ticket to see them.  Look at all
of the hoopla!  Man, they have a membership club that you can join for ($) to
get access to stuff that others cannot and I know that it will work.  Here's
the link, check it out - <A HREF="http://www.rollingstones.com/";>Rolling Stones</A> .  Now does The Who have anything
like that?  Why not?  They have a much better show and they have far superior
quality.  But to joe fan, the Stones are happening.  They get on T.V. shows
because they have  a new song to play.  I saw that Robert Plant was on Leno
last night. Why weren't The Who on?  If they were to be, what song could they
possibly play?  Pinball Wizard?

I want them to beat these guys.  I want them to cash in.  I want them to do
what THEY want to do, but I want them to know that someone will respond to
them when they do it. I saw EVERYBODY responding to them even without John
live.

Yeah, there's the legacy thing, but that is already done.  Their legacy is
Live at Leeds.  No one will ever beat that.  No one can ever take it away
from them either, not even themselves. That was what the four of them could
do at their peak and it is in the books (and in my cd player right now).  No
matter what anyone does, there will always be someone there to criticise it.
The only ones I hear criticising this tour are the people that haven't even
gone to see it.  What should I care about what they have to say?

Pete , Roger and Zak are still alive and they just might shock us.     Again.

Jon in Mi