Who religion banter!

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@adelphia.net>
>Subject: Cobain legacy
>
>I've been meaning to transcribe some
>from Jones Beach.  There's some good stuff in there.  Somehow, I keep
>getting sidetracked :-(

Yeah, those wrong turns'll get you on the wrong track every time.

>From: "Dennis C." <out_of_control@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Legacy and Cobain
>
>Now he is a rotting corpse who didn't have
>the guts to live.  Only the STRONG survives.
>Seems enough said to me

May you never be weak Dennis.
If ever in your life you are, there are people out there that may be able to
help.

I find the lack of compassion here for people (and I'm not talking
specifically about Cobain) driven to suicide to be sad.

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Music as an influence; Cobain rhymes with "insane"; Dealing
with the hoi poloi

>Kevin:
>
>I dunno...we ARE talking about Ozzy here. Seriously, the only person Ozzy's
music hurt was Ozzy. >Anyone who can be influenced by music to do something
rotten can be equally influenced by a
>book, movie, TV show, conversation...IOW, the kid is nuts!

We're saying the same thing here.  While Ozzy does have that dark thang
going, it takes a bit of insanity to do something to yourself based solely
on instructions from a famous or even influential person.
But, if already down, music can pin you there for a while, or worse, take
you deeper.
When I went through a particularly painful breakup back when I was 17, I
made the mistake of wrapping myself in Pink Floyd The Wall.  It was like
tying an anchor around my leg.

>I don't want to live in a world made safe for three year olds. A little
danger here, please! A
>little risk! Waiter, waiter!

Yes.  And, this is where the role of the parent/guardian/good friend comes
in.....helping the novice negotiate the dangers and things that are unsafe.
I'm much quicker to blame lack of parent involvement than any sort of rock
star, etc.

>Besides, why is it only the negative effect, huh? Why didn't Who music make
everyone go out and >become a Baba follower, if there's so much influence to
go around?

It's got me thinking and "seeking".

>And a side note to Lew aka AEB: I'm with you on this one, too. Cobain was
no genius. He was a
>mediocre writer and a poor singer. Best on Bleach, because it's raw and
uncomplicated it works.

Sure as hell was better than the Glam-rock nausea we were stuck in.

>But no rational, sane human puts a gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

Exactly my point.  So, let's have a bit of compassion for people who lose
touch with rational thoughts and sanity.
The line is thin and can be crossed before you know it.
If you have never flirted with it, you haven't experienced the full spectrum
that is life ("you" as in all).

>From: "Andy Cummings" <thekindpad@hotmail.com>
>Subject: windmills, Whofreaks and admission
>
>Also thanks to Kevin O'Neal for his wonderful "Who Banter" series.
>Hey Kev, can I do the next one?
>The banter on the Watford (2002) show is
>priceless and would love to post it. However I don't intend on stealing
your
>idea and wouldn't do it w/out your permission:)

Imitation is the best form of flattery (or something like that)!  Plus, I
*love* Who banter.
I want more!  Bring it on!
At least until my patent comes in.  ;-)

>From: "?????" <elbo@hotbox.ru>
>Subject: WHO deciples & messengers
>
>SOMEBODY WROTE:Why should you care?

That was me.  So, allow me to violently slamm you on things you've said.
;-)

>Hey, Hey, Scott, Hey now, you can`t really center your life around
something
>that`s
>only part of it,

I never mentioned anything about "centering".  I believe my words were "a
large part".

>and you absolutely can`t make a god out of a band,

Never said anything about making a god out of a band, or even out of a
person.  If anyone here is considering this, seek help.
Speaking for me:
The Who is not a god.
Pete is not a god.
But, Pete has some very passionate thoughts about religion and more
importantly how people should "get along".  It's these thoughts that at
least *I* find valuable and worthy of using in my personal value system.

>Has it ever occured to you Pete`s not any bigger than you?

Uhhh, derrrrr, no.  Never thought of that.

>RELIGION - is a big word that controls
>your whole world and sticking to a religion you actually loose yourself
>instead of being filled up!

Organized religion as is taught in churches, etc. can be the sedation of the
masses.
I'm not into those sorts of religions.
But to be religious is to simply identify with a way of being.  A way of
acting.  A way of seeing the world.  It doesn't have to be in a church with
white wafers, etc.

>HEY, ANYONE ASKED THE WHO IF THEY NEEDED ANY DECIPLES?

Join together with the band.
But, really dude, has anyone asked if the originator of The Golden Rule
wanted deciples?
Come on.  It's something that is reasonable (to most) and thus followed by
many.
Do you need permission or a request from another to do something nice?

>From: "Richard Beal" <rjbeal@maine.rr.com>
>Subject: RE: Cobain rhymes with "insane"
>
>Other than Sting, I can't think of anybody who's had more success as a solo
>artist than with a group, and Sting only succeeded because he found the
>middle of the road (or least common denominator).

Fuck Sting.  :-)
Really, I'm still pissed at him for quitting The Police.
I fully believe Sting could have been 10x as popular had he not gotten
arrogant and left The Police.
Fuck Sting.
Hmmmmmmm....Sting and Cobain fucking?   ;-)

>From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com
>Subject: Re: A simple statement from this male.  An a "long" one from this
one.

>> I think the bullseye in this case is on the wrong end of the bull.
>>

>Clever, yes.

Heh, heh.

>Right? Maybe not.

Just an opinion.  No right or wrong here.  But I'm right!

>There may be
>some songs from a gifted writer and band on FD and IH but I don't see much
>light.  I mainly see a reaction.

The reaction *is* the light.
FD and IH are a reflection of Pete's reaction.  That's what music is!

>But one thing is for sure, there is a
>picture!  Put the piece where it belongs and you may see something.

While *I* am religious....I can't ignore and I can't help but let it
influence me..the fact that there may very well be nothing out there.
Nothing is for sure.  No one knows.  Find what helps you be a better person
and run with it.
Where's the damn church of Golden Rules??  ;-)

>I am not using sarcasm here.  I am not that smart anyhow,

Doesn't show *any* intelligence, in my book.
Shows fear.

>*Who* got Pete off of Heroin?

Pete?

Who stopped him from killing himself?

Pete?

>What power got him off of the bottle?

Pete and his value system?

>It is my right to
>know this.

Jon, no it's not.  The only right we have is to buy what Pete and The Who
produce.
(that sounded harsh....but.....)

>The first thing she told him when she saw him
>was that he needed to meet Jesus.  My hero.

Cool.  You've found a path that works for you.  Now go practice what he
preached (not that you aren't already).

>There is no pain like being misunderstood and no one has been misunderstood

>more than the true God.

*If* there really *is* a god.

>I actually had a loaded gun barrel in my mouth...  Then I called on His
name.
> Somebody saved me.  I was instantly sober.

E-hug.

>Then somebody told her that she is not worthless. That she is not
>insignificant. That He will undo everything that was done *to* her and give

>her nothing less than Himself. And she believed Him.

Who? Pete?  That's who told me!

>This person is Jesus.

Pete is Jesus??????  Holy (no pun) shit!

>I believe that Kurt Cobain "believed" in his *feelings* and reacted to
them.
>I don't blame him in this regard.  I do blame him for leaving his daughter
>fatherless.

If there is anger toward Kurt for this, than you must surely have the same
anger toward John and arguably Keith as well.
Plus, I thought you just said it was God who helped you pull that gun barrel
our of your mouth.
Why wasn't it the thought of leaving your kids?
See, at a time like that, thoughts are not rational like "if I do this, I
leave my kids".  If they are, then they're like "if I don't do this, I'll
fuck my kids up even more than if I wasn't here".

>Thanks for reading

Thanks for sharing.  Peace my brotha!

>From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>
>Subject: Re: A simple statement from this male. And this one.
>
>I'm burning all my Darwin books as we speak.

Ha!  This reminds me of my wife's dad.  He's a catholic priest (Byzantine
right allows for marriage if prior to ordainment...and thus children).
He once asked me out of the blue if Darwin is still taught in schools and
university (mind you this guy has a phd in religion).
I forgot for a second who I was talking to and answered all charged.."what,
of course!  It's the basis for the creation of man!"
Whoooooops!

I'm a science person first.  It's my *thinking* that there *may* be
something that flipped the switch to all evolution to begin..big bang and
all that.  The thought is comforting.
But, I have to be humble enough to know that we just don't know...and may
never if things simply go black at some point (click-band...what a hang).

My religion:  The beauty that is floating on a surfboard in the ocean.  The
beauty that is snowboarding through a forest.  Treading softly (ha!).

Kevin in VT