Cool Stuff From Digest 302 Starring andy, jon, schrade and jeff

Like THIS:

Andy Cummings wrote about his " Who moment this weekend"

>Oh christ, I thought. 8 minutes of A, right?<

Ah hahahahaha!!!  As JAE moans "Now you know how I fucking felt!!!"

> I was giggling and shit. They kept singing the refrain
throughout the whole song and anyone whos ever done the regular saturday
night solo acoustic bar gig knows that doesn't happen too often.<
How about, like, never..

>Anyway,  power of the Who.<
It's up there with E=mc^2....

>It was a great moment. anyway, my name is andy and I'm a Whofreak. <
"Hello Andy..."

>What a pain in the ass that windmill is on acoustic.<
I'll bet.  I've done them in the car and slammed my hand so hard into the
roof that the knuckles crack like popcorn.  Never on a real guitar, tho.  I
am an air windmill artist.  :O)

and then Keithjmoon70@aol.com
wrote about  Cobain Disses Pete in New Book

>That is why I am such a big supporter of what they have been doing lately
on this tour.  I did *not* like that spooky dude backstage playing lead
electric for Pete back in '89.<
Come on, didn't he remind you of a human Woody Woodpecker?

>Pete had a genuine hearing problem in '89  (and still does) and it was
something he HAD to deal with.  He cared about John enough to take a "risk"
to keep him from debtors prison.  I dig that.<
This band has done many things that made me very proud to be a fan.  This is
one of them.. Another is the CFNY (1st anniversary of which was yesterday)

>We talk about missing John and the "real" Who. <
Olga once asked me if the WHO is a mathematical equation.  Does it mean it
isn't the WHO if all four members aren't present onstage?  Got me
thinking...to me the WHO is energy, passion, angst, love, beauty,
excitement, awe, ad nauseum...Are these feelings mathematical equations?
Whoa I can spend a couple of days and a full (large) bottle of Remy on that
question and still probably not come up with an answer.

> He supported John with his difficult decision that cost him plenty in many
ways.<
They have all given us something that cost them plenty, if ya ask me (no one
did)

> He gave blood but blood was not enough, I guess. <
Was enough for me.  Does that mean I understand what love is?  Because I
could never feel anything but love for anyone in the band...no matter what.
Ok, maybe a little frustration!!  :O)   But the LOVE was the biggest feeling
I have always had.

>This wasn't just talk!!  Fuck the legacy. He won my respect as a human
being. <
Mine too.

>He still rocked his ass off on acoustic anyhow.<
:O)  And what an ass it is.

>Kurt Cobain quit when it got too hard.  Pete did not jump off that ledge.
"Somebody saved him."  He is now still here. He did not give up.  I LOVE
that!!<
Thank you jon in mi.  Thank you very much.

And then the ever prolific Jeff House agreed:

>Jon in MI said "As far as the Legacy goes...."<
....Very well said.  I could not have said it any better :-D...
And that is a compliment coming from such a good writer!
(now I am riding on the coattails of others compliments...how shameless am
I?)

More from  Jeff House this time about  No clever subject - Legacy and Cobain
>I tried to think up a play on legacy using 'middle leg' for my subject
line, but I just couldn't come up with anything.<
See what I mean!!??!  :O)  That's funny.

>>Schrade said:  "The '89 tour showed Who fans that The Who couldn't go out
as a 5-piece band & play their music anymore.  It showed Who fans that
Pete's hearing was irreparably damaged.  It showed Who fans that the band
had lost all of their ferociousness.  It showed Who fans that what made Who
shows enjoyable & threatening was irretrievably gone.  And by the time
1999/2000 rolled around, most had already lost faith.  Won't get fooled
again, etc."<<
> and Jeff said:  There's a great deal of truth in this.  It seems that this
is a view of the supply side of the Who equation.  The very idea of the '89
format made me turn tail and run.  I probably would have had a lousy time if
I had bothered to go. <
You know Jeff, you may not have.  It was TOMMY live.  It was a chance to see
Tommy LIVE right in front of you.  Yes it was just short the midget in the
jester costume to be TOMMY on Ice.  But if the music MEANS something then
should the medium override the feeling?  I would listen to TOMMY live in
Amsterdam and then TOMMY live at Radio City and wonder....what is the fuss
about?  But then again, I also loved Lou Reizners Tommy (still do)....To me
the music holds the meaning, not the presentation.  If the band was
comfortable with the presentation then it was alright with me.  I know JAE
disliked the big band but our beloved John had his volume issues, didn't he?
:O)

>I see this like many fan's reaction to the 2002 U.S. shows.  John's death
made many hardcore fans walk into the arena with their arms folded, unable
to open their minds up to the possibility of enjoyment.  I know, because I
did it myself :-(<
And I think there are plenty of others who did, too, Jeff.  The Hollywood
Bowl was the most bittersweet night of my life, I think.  Cynthia drove us
across the Mojave desert to LA to attend that show, with Live At Leeds
playing quietly (Yes, quietly, in case we needed to talk, I think) on the
car stereo.  4 + hours of dirt and rocks and bad neon signs and then LA...a
crap airport hotel, awful traffic, no tickets in hand, audience members who
didn't even know John had died, pre and after shows crowded with people who
could care less...and there we were.  It was awful but I wouldn't trade the
experience because it made Camden a little less painful.  And then the
Garden shows with the wonderful vibe from everyone at the Wee...those shows
felt like a celebration and a wake all at once...by the time I got back to
Vegas, I felt OK. And then the show there brought it all back and it was
awful again.  Thank GOD for the 2nd Mansfield show.  Thank GOD is all I can
say.

Jeff wrote: "I just being a dick and trying to change the subject."
HAHAHA!!!  You have shattered my maudlin mood, Jeff.

And then "I don't find much to admire about Cobain.  He was a talented guy,
but a sorry excuse for a man in my book."
Yes, I agree.

When it came down to it, in my eyes at least, the WHO stepped up to the
plate.  They hemmed and hawwed and dealt their well rehearsed excuses and
explinations to the the Press....but when *I* needed them, there they were.
I don't think anyone could ask for more from someone that they love.

Group Hug
jacqueline