Stoned Who

For the record, I like old Stones.  Stones before they became a broken
record.
Yep, that's how I'll leave that.

I've been thinking........<run for cover>
The Stones are praised publicly, via high profile media attention, repeatedly.
Like they're some sort of kings of the rock throne.
It's almost as if it's comfortable and just easy for most to just accept this
and act this way.  But, can most people name a song by The Stones past Sticky
Fingers?  Doubt it.  Do they really like the music?  This new song Don't Stop
*is* kind of catchy.  Why?  It's that same similar Stones sound.
Finger-tapping fun for the whole family.  Just what Keith R. doesn't want.

But what about The Who?
The music of The Who is all *OVER* the world's biggest medium at the moment.
Not only their music, but also their "image" of early pop culture and imagery
(do The Stones even have this sort of image?).
Every week you can hear The Who open for CSI (WAY), and also CSI Miami (WGFA),
and now Friends is playing a bunch of Pete.
There's a commercial for a new male perfume (argh, forget the name), where the
actor is a buff dude with late 60's Roger Daltrey hair and kind of jammin' to
some rock wearing jeans and no shirt (hmmmmmmmm, me thinks.....who's he trying
to look like?).  At the end of the commercial when they say "fragrance for
males"...sure enough there's the biological symbol for male with the arrow
entering the middle of the circle...in my Who-mind... combining two of The
Who's main pop symbols (male symbol and target).

So society likes this stuff!  If they didn't, advertisers, and producers
wouldn't use it.
Why then don't The Who get more public recognition????  (Why, WHY?????
Banging head against bong...ahem...I mean wall).
Why can't or don't we admit it, and embrace it, and talk about it, and
recognize it, and celebrate it?????
Why, WHY?????  (still banging head against wall.....ahem...I mean....)

The answer.........
We're naughty.

The Who continue to be what The Stones started as........baaaaaad boys.
While we (the greater we), somewhere deep down all love The Who, we are told
somewhere even deeper that it's BAAAAAAAD to like them.  Bad, BAAD I say!
"The Who is The Devil !!" (quote by The Waterboy's mom).
Mothers grab their little children, and fathers lock their daughters behind
doors when The Who is around.
The Stones?  The whole uni-sex image of Mick I believe comforts all.  It's non
threatening.  It's just weird.

Look at the anger The Who allowed those Firemen and Policemen to express.
Look at the raw violent emotion they provoked.
"That's not *right*!" (quote by famous comedian).
You can't let people get that mad!  You can't act like that!  You can't be
*that* macho!  That much of a man!  That fucking balls-out!
We're a more civilized......finger-tappin'...society than that!  Rebellion?
Willingness to fight?  Ain't scared of a bloody nose?  Her fellas gonna kill
me...oh fucking will he?  I'll rape it?  Won't get fooled again?  Put your
finger down my throat?
That's all too real for us to handle!
Getting mad like that is baaaaaaaad.   Hide it!  Don't talk about it!  Don't
admit it!
BUT FUCK YOU ALL, IT'S IN YOU, YOU KNOW IT'S FUCKING IN YOU, SO WHY DON'T YOU
CLIMB OFF YOUR FUCKING FAKE-ASS HORSE AND ADMIT IT'S IN YOU AND THAT THE WHO
BRINGS IT OUT OF YOU!
(sorry, I'm ok now.)
It's just not PC.  Just the way I like it.

While The Sones may calm you between storms...........The Who *is* the storm.

YA!
Kevin in VT