Re: Positively 4th Street

Jon: That doesn't sound too positive to me.

Jon:

Well, it WAS a mortician joke. Not much positive to work with, is there?

But, again, I never said I was "positive" about the current Who situation. I'm not. I find it disturbing. I've always had the highest regard for The Who, and now it appears they've become what all the rest of the bands have. I'd always maintained they were above that sort of thing, and Townshend's words always told me my impression was correct. Now, to quote Tom Petty: "Johnny rocked the golden circle/And all those VIPs/And then music that had freed us/Became the tired routine..."

When I used Aerosmith as an example, earlier, I was referring to the fact that they long ago ceased to be a relevent band and became a band who makes a career out of recycling their music. This says nothing about their performance, but everything about the mindset of the band. No secrets of the universe to be gleaned here! I could have just as easily used Kiss, but the difference is Aerosmith actually BUYS their songs (rights and all) from other people. So they might be considered an extreme example, the ultimate Rock sellouts. I'll grant you that at least you can't buy an Aerosmith coffin. Yet.

Townshend's diary entry gives me a little hope for the future. Ha! As much hope I guess as his words ever give! But who knows? As a non-Who vehicle they could do a lot...and I disagree with him that he can no longer write songs for The Who, because many of his solo songs were Who songs. Could have been.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML
faith.yahoo.com