Mediocrity abounds

two recordings (and his preconceptions). Unlike most of us he was not there
for the sex - not even one session.

Jeff:

I was there for five sessions over the course of 25 years...one with Moon, before you even knew the band existed...so you're wrong, here. I knew this "sex" when it was incredible. In fact, it was so good I didn't want to taint the memory of it with an inferior session.

By preconceptions, I'm referring to his comparisons between the current Who
and previous Whos.

Experience is not a fair measure? That's bullshit. And you've missed the point anyway. I hesitate to explain, for you'll probably claim I'm "condescending." But you should know I was talking about prejudging the Pino band...which I did not do. You shouldn't have assumed otherwise.

Yep, very effective. Harrowing, but it's supposed to be.

Alan:

This is why I strongly reject the "cartoon" view of this movie. There's much too much seriousness to it. Too much symbolism, great acting, memorable moments. It was more than a movie, it was an intellectual exercise. Dare I say it? It was Art. I guess not everyone can see it that way, or wanted it to be a regular commercial movie. Art is subjective.

Yep, I love that moment too, although I perceive it not as explicitly
turning away form his parents as suddenly having direction of his own

Perhaps, but he does it the very moment his parents arrive on the scene.

I didn't think it was a reference to that, just to the usual sad practice
of sad and desperate people searching for a cure anywhere.

Well, that's what I got out of it...but I did go in with the knowledge of Lennon and his aversion to the cripples and that no doubt colored my take.

a gap in it that EXACTLY frames Tommy's eye? It's at 33:12 on my DVD.

I didn't notice...but I'll take a look. Thanks.

I hear ya. I agree with your being true to the real situation. I respect
that for sure. It gives real credibility where it is due and cuts down on the
bullshit.

Jon:

Thanks, I know that MOST of you understand where I'm coming from. I had hoped that bringing an honest opinion would be appreciated, at least in this particular forum when it's so wrapped up in the overall band message, but apparently it's true that you will get into more trouble telling the truth.

OK!!! You`ve been to a lot of shows, you can compare! Anyways nothing ever
stays the same!

Helen:

But it's worth noting, when it's worse.

Is his voice really so bad now? You`re too hard on him it seems to me.

Perhaps, but "I calls them as I sees them." I don't see the point of being on this list if I'm not going to be honest.

As far as Mark is concerned, I think

Jeff:

That's where you made your first mistake. It's already been established that when you try to analyse what I've said or done, you get it wrong across the board. And, here we are again. I wish you'd stop doing it, I really do. There's no point to it, you've already done as much damage as you possibly can.

 he's been pretty open about not
supporting The Who in it's current incarnation

That's bullshit. I said day one I hoped Daltrey and Townshend would go on. I reserved judgement on the sound of this band until I heard it, except to say they couldn't possibly be as good without the greatest bass player that ever lived. And I was right, too. But it wasn't a hard call to make, was it? It was pretty obvious.

using the negative comments of others to *prove* that his opinions are
truth.

You know, what I'm hearing with my own ears is not an opinion. It is fact. You want to deny fact, feel free. You want to pretend Daltrey still sounds as good as he did even 2 years ago, go ahead. You want to believe Pino is as good as Entwistle, OK by me. But I have been seriously studying Rock music for 33 years now. I have worked sound with a world class Rock band and some lessor ones as well. Specifically with The Who, I've been a hard core fan since 1970. I know their music, their sound live and studio inside and out. I currently have 85 Who CDs, more LPs and then there's the tapes...and that's not counting Daltrey Townshend Moon and Entwistle solo stuff. I know this band like few people do. As well as about 100 other bands, not to mention the ones I know well or even casually. IOW, I have a good solid basis from which to come to a conclusion. Not an opinion, mind you...a CONCLUSION. It doesn't just come from The Who's music, or even merely British Rock music, or even what I'd like to be able to say, but from the whole entire Rock music spectrum from Elvis to The Hives. I bring my entire Rock experience to the table here, and I think that's what is unique about my take on these things. You don't have to like it or even read it. No one does. But it isn't arrived at lightly, as you may think. And it has nothing to do with what I may "want." It's just how it is.

I will say again that I've never told anyone to shut up about this

Not DIRECTLY, no.

Why is it that when I disagree or question a premise, I am accused of trying
to stop others from expressing their opinions?

This IS something you may want to examine. Ask yourself why you're coming across that way. I will not do you the disservice you've done me (twice), by "analysing" it.

Why compare Tommy to My Generation? Why compare Quad to WBN?

Why have a list to discuss this if we can't discuss apects of the band? Why have contests if it doesn't matter who wins? Why have standards? Why are you trying to make us, or perhaps just me, feel bad about having a high standard for this band? After all, THEY were the ones who GAVE me this standard. If I cared about their music less I suppose I'd be a fan of another band. Any old band. Mediocrity abounds in Rock music. But I don't have to be a fan of it.

Go for it. I just think there is a difference between saying "his voice is
shot" and "his voice isn't what it used to be".

Yeah, one is skirting the issue and borders on the dishonest. If Daltrey had his choice, sorry Jon I mean if Roger had his choice, do you really think he'd pick his present voice over what it was in 1971? I refuse to feel bad about stating the truth. I reviewed three CDs here recently...MG, AQO, and Detroit 2002. I was brutally honest in all three. Why do you have a problem with only one out of three? Is it because I didn't follow the "loyal Who fan" line? Oh well.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML
faith.yahoo.com