Re: Tommy the movie; Whofest; a Curt repsonse

From: "Mark R. Leaman" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>

Can you EVEN believe this doo doo?

Lew:

No.

Good, thought it was me for a minute.

It's an assault on the senses: seeing, hearing. & feeling. Get it?

Scott:

I don't know about that, but I agree with you that it doesn't suck. >It's got some parts in it that make it very much "of the moment" it >was made, that is to say during the Glam Rock period.

So was a lot of shit.

Take those away and it's a pretty solid movie.

The only thing solid about this film is that it is solidly
packed with shit, start to compleation.

What DOES make the movie great is the symbolism (for instance, Tommy >the child's wallpaper and the Acid Queen's "iron maiden" personna)

Only if you want/like serious subject matter made into cartoons.

Now I _know_ I did not take too much LSD, but obviously others
_did_.

and Yes the movie is campy but it's not easy to make this subject >into a serious film, if you want to use the music it's based on.

Most of the serious music the film is based upon was remade into
cartoon versions for the film.

It's all a fuckin' cartoon as far as the film is concerned.

> every Rock fan's identification with wanting to be loved,

Lew:

Wouldn't that be "every human's desire to be loved?"

...and sucking their thumbs with their "woobie" (aka security
blanket for those not overly familiar with the film "Mr. Mom")
in hand.

You're killin' me here!  ;-)

So what you're >saying here is Tommy the movie strikes a universal chord.

Nope!

See me, feel me, touch me, heal me.............

I think that's one of the inferior songs on the album. Try Christmas ("Waking up on Xmas morning hours before the winter's sun ignited/They believe in dreams and all they mean including heaven's generousity/Peeping round the door to see what parcels are for free in curiousity...") or Amazing Journey ("Sparkle warm crystaline glances to show")...how does this mean I miss my mummy? No, it means DAMN THAT MUSIC'S FINE! On the other hand: "UV light making starshine of her smile..." is equally great.

***EVERYTHING*** from "Quadrophenia" is superiour. Little
Tommy's only contenders are:

Overture
Amazing Journey
Acid Queen
Sparks
Underture

Fuckin' Don MacLean's "American Pie" made mass cultural
impact, and it's still nothing but a mound of stinking offal.

Yeah. If it had been "Drove my Pontiac to the levee but the levee was >dry" it would have meant something. But a Chevy? Fah!

Yeah, something like a Pontiac or Buick with an extra 500 lbs. of
chrome bumper and grille added would suffice perfectly.

Gotta be GM tho'!

>No.

You should get it. It's out on DVD now. And in 5.1.

I will, as little Regan in The Exorcist would say, (when
possessed by the demon of wind and fire "Pazuzzu"):

"In TIME!"

Fuck you Scott, I'm older than you, I claimed that closed
minded status long before you perfected skinning *it* back,
and it's mine....mine!!!......MINEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're both wrong. that's MY area of expertise. After all, who here >knows the lyrics to Cocksucker Blues? Me, that's who. How about My >Friend Jack, a Who-based song if I ever heard one? Yeah, that's >right.

Got the tune, and film of the same name, "Cocksucker Blues," anytime
you wanna do up some popcorn and watch the rolling stones* get
decadent (which is, as the film proves, overrated, at least what one
gets to actually _see_).

>When's the next WhoFest,
>Mark? Gotta keep this Who energy flowing!

Do *general Rock fans* attend this?

The answer is: YES all music fans are welcome but they should be forewarned the discussions will revolve around The Who and how their band was influenced by them.

Fuck it, I'm stayin' home.

~AnEnglishBoy~