Who Created God (no WHO)

In support of Helen's comments to Joe, there are two primary messages in the Old Testament and the New Testament regarding the eternal existance of God.
Helen is right when she suggest that folks should actually READ the Bible before coming to a conclusion on many of these topics. This is a daunting task and as a result many just skip the reading and form their own opinions based on (a) what they remember reading (b) what they remember being taught in a house of worship (c) pseudo religion picked up from the movies, books, etc.

In any event, here are the references:

Old Testament

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." - Genesis 1:1

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." - Genesis 1:27

New Testament

John 1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[1] it.

John 8

57"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

In the Old Testament, God is presented as the creator of all things, including mankind. Since God exisited eternally, there is no account of who or how God was created.

In the New Testament, it is a bit more explicit on God's eternal existance. The Word refers to Jesus Christ and who was with God in the beginning and through whom all things were made. Since God made all things, he exists OUTSIDE the created universe, in the same way a watchmaker sit outside the watch that he is created.

I agree that this is a difficult concept to understand let alone accept. You can see in the second selection from John, that the temple elders, the custodians of organized religion in Jesus' time, also had difficult with this concept. They were ready to stone Jesus.

Anyway, I hope that this has sparked curiosity in anyone who has pondered these questions and I invite those who wish to continue this dicussion to email me privately.

Andy