Re: Under a rock

> (The purpose of the letter to my ex. was to show her that Scott
> is not some argumentative, angry prick,

Well,....that's debatable.  ;-)

> Pete: "With all the low things in the world come all the high things.
> You've got to look under the rock to find the goodness".

> To my great surprise, this is the first time in my life I have ever
> heard Pete *say* it.

OK, I 'm going to be politely argumentative here.  Or prickly argu-
mentative.  However you want to look at it.

You seem to be insinuating that your experience with the Toronto CD
was some sort of "divine intervention," reaffirming your religious be-
liefs because:

A. You purchased the CD on a whim, only because it was the last show
on the tour.  And....

B. Lo & behold, Pete makes a reference to spiritual searching which
conforms to your own established beliefs.

Your conclusion is, because everything that happens in life happens
for a purpose, you have experienced another amazing "divine intervent-
ion," thereby confirming what you've believed all along.

What you're not realizing is that you've bought dozens of *other* Who
bootlegs or legit releases where Pete says *nothing* spiritual, nothing
about searching for God, nothing about experiencing "lows" to get to
the "highs," etc.

You're forgetting about all the times Pete has cursed, insulted, yelled,
& been just generally nasty from the stage.

You're forgetting about all the sin, debauchery, & general lowliness
Pete has engaged in throughout his life (and, some may argue, contin-
ues to engage in).

You want very badly to reconcile this love you have for The Who with the
love you have for God.  You clutch onto every scrap of evidence you can
find & discard the evidence which is contrary to your hopes & beliefs.

This is exactly the reason why psychics & the like are popular & still
continue to thrive into the 21st century.  For all the incorrect infor-
mation they spout about someone, they usually get one or two things cor-
rect.

And what do you think happens?  People remember the "hits" & forget
about the "misses."  Why?  Because they want to.  They want to believe.

Science teaches us about probabilities & helps puts these seemingly di-
vine, other-worldly occurrences into perspective.  It shows us that the
importance many humans place on coincidence is unjustified.  It leads
to clearer, unmuddled thinking.  Things do happen for no reason.  That's
not pessimism; that's fact.  Embrace the knowledge.  Free yourself.

The "sitting stool" analogy is very apt in this case.  It says:  The
sitting stool that is religion/spirituality stands on one leg - faith.

The sitting stool that is science stands on three - faith, observation,
& experiment.

I choose not to sit on the wobbly one.

- SCHRADE in Akron